Tokyo, Japan

There are probably 6 or 7 threads with people listing their facebook, tumblr, soundcloud, twitter, 3ds friend codes, wii whatever etc.

First question, is anyone actually using these threads as a resource to find forum members contact details? Multiple threads seems like a fairly cumbersome way of archiving that type of information and there are new social media / media sharing / gaming profile things popping fairly regularly, the problem isnt going anywhere. I propose the following.

1 - lock all the various threads, create 1 unified "directory" thread where each user can list all their various social media links and can edit their posts as they update, change or add new links.

2 - This is my preferred solution, lock all the threads and people just add friend codes / tumblr / whatever to their profiles description (which supports BB code and up to 5000 chracters).

My logic is, if I want to find out more about user X, clicking on their username is a far easier way to do this than searching through 6 or 7 and counting forum threads, some of which are over 10 pages long.

Thoughts?

matt's mind

#2, for sure. 

even if this just means that within the profile view the list of cyan bubbles might be really long below their name...

an alternative to this would be to adopt an 'addthis'-type approach where a mouseover causes a menu to pop out showing all that crap for the individual user (rather than sharing options for that page, which is 'addthis' style).  thats just a cleanliness thing though, i don't mind all the cyan bubbles myself

Brunswick, GA USA

How about putting them in a sig?

matt's mind

we decided a long while back to not do signatures as in a typical forum (you still have profile space though to do with what you will).  too cluttered, too spammy.  i doubt that will change...

Tokyo, Japan

Also, could combine this with an earlier request

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/5290/ … -identity/

Plus a few other more recent social media things.

chunter wrote:

How about putting them in a sig?

I agree with kitch, im not a fan of sigs at all, lots of forum clutter and everyone has a description and detailed profile on their user page

uhajdafdfdfa

just put it in your description

i guess the thing about the threads is that if you post your facebook in a facebook thread, you are saying "it's ok to add me on facebook" or even "i'd like people to add me on facebook". you are being a bit less positive about being added on facebook by tucking it away on your profile

but if you really don't want to be added on facebook, don't share your facebook link

A gray world of dread

I think the main idea of those threads is to 'see and be seen' or something. Maybe profile pages are 'too far away' (which they are not, but)?

I don't like signatures but I could live with links at the end of a post hidden behind some icons.

Tokyo, Japan

Well, the links can be added under your username, see this user for example

http://chipmusic.org/chema64

A gray world of dread

Yeah but they don't show up outside the profile. smile

I don't know why I'm writing this actually, I don't even care that much.

Tokyo, Japan

Ah right, I see what you mean, but yeah, my logic remains, if I want to see details about a particular user, their user profile is a far more logical place to look than across multiple forum threads.

vancouver, canada
Lazerbeat wrote:

Ah right, I see what you mean, but yeah, my logic remains, if I want to see details about a particular user, their user profile is a far more logical place to look than across multiple forum threads.

with a bit of CSS/jQuery elbow grease, the avatar links on the left of each post could accommodate more links that reveal on mouseover.

if that's something to consider and you need a bit of help with that, i can certainly offer a hand.

sweden
Lazerbeat wrote:

First question, is anyone actually using these threads as a resource to find forum members contact details?

I use them, but not for contact details but for finding new people (+their music) that aren't that active on the forum but might be more active on [insert social media].

Sweeeeeeden

I don't think these threads are meant to be necessarily be a directory to use when finding person x's contact details, but more of a random meetup thread to discover new people/artists.

Hover to reveal details. Maybe.

What about perhaps a new forum that contains only directory type threads. Users would not be able to create new threads here, only reply to the existing ones. Thoughts? Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Nov 26, 2012 6:57 pm)

Unsubscribe

I didnt realize this was a problem.

Brunswick, GA USA

Agreeing with Mr Swimm.

It is plausible to have short text-only sigs that disallow graphics and embeds if we want them: the advantage is that sometimes i can see the referrers in my website clicks and know someone saw something specific i said in a forum instead of generically knowing the viewer clicked through cm.o. I do like the idea of generic fields instead of making fields for bookface and twitter, because in 15 years we will laugh at them just like aim and y accounts.

uhajdafdfdfa

yeah generic fields is a good idea

i don;'t see why a twitter accoconut deserves ITS OWN FIELD while a personal website, etc, does not. it would just contribute to the ongoing homogenisation of internet (only websites are twitter, google, facebook, and things you can only log into with a twitter, google, facebook account)