Los Angeles, CA

Some of you folks have been gushing about using the monotribe. My question is, have any of you been able to use it's click-track driven sync functionality with your handhelds? From what I understand, LSDJ uses a click track for syncing, so maybe that would work to keep the monotribe in time as well?

rochester, ny

paging chipocrite.

Brooklon

nitro has a great little tutorial on syncing by creating a click instrument in LSDJ. LSDJ Master-slave sync does not work since it doesn't put out a pulse-clock but if you set your LSDJ to nanoloop sync, hack up a sync cable and divide the resulting pulse-clock (Nanoloop syncs via pulse clock), you can get LSDJ-Monotribe sync via the link cable. I believe Nanoloop sync is 12ppqn so divide as is necessary.

Czech republic

Or you can make simple modification to your monotribe and sync or trigger with midi (if you have arduinoboy).

England

the nitro tutorial works perfectly. i'm making a lot of music with the sync'd gameboy/monotribe & fx set up at the moment and have used it for live improvisation a lot now.

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

Have they changed the way the drums work?  Its probably a hardware thing but they've done updates before, i just dont like the idea of not being able to modify my drums.  Though i guess if your using lsdj your drums are pretty much covered.

São Paulo, Brazil

You can make easy mods on it for changing the drums decay.

If you open up your monotribe, you'll see Korg basically wrote "bending points here" on the pcb.

Murcia, Spain

I'm prety interested in using a Monotribe with LSDJ too, but I don't really get the point. What can you exactly do with both connected? Can you filter LSDJ through it?

Czech republic
DogTag wrote:

I'm prety interested in using a Monotribe with LSDJ too, but I don't really get the point. What can you exactly do with both connected?

You can make music with these.

Murcia, Spain
ashimoke wrote:

You can make music with these.

Ok.

Czech republic

Ok, no more trolling. But it was kind of silly question.

Monotribe has no audio input so you cannot filter any other sounds. The main advantage is the possibility of keeping stuff in sync and/or external parameter control of (some) monotribe's knobs. And triggering it's notes / drums.

Murcia, Spain
ashimoke wrote:

Monotribe has no audio input so you cannot filter any other sounds. The main advantage is the possibility of keeping stuff in sync and/or external parameter control of (some) monotribe's knobs. And triggering it's notes / drums.

I know how the Monotribe works, I just wanted to know what can you do with LSDJ and monotribe at the same time. Does that mean that what you can do is actually just play both things in sync but separately?

reject of nintendoage
ashimoke wrote:

Monotribe has no audio input so you cannot filter any other sounds.

actually, it does, but unlike the monotrons, the filter goes through the vca, so you can't filter extenal signals without getting sound from the MT's oscillators. Good for sub-octaves, thought. There's a mod that silences the MT's vco, i think, but i haven't tried.
Should be awesome to have sequenced filters ....

Czech republic
shizcake wrote:

actually, it does.

Whoops, I stand corrected.

England
DogTag wrote:
ashimoke wrote:

I know how the Monotribe works, I just wanted to know what can you do with LSDJ and monotribe at the same time. Does that mean that what you can do is actually just play both things in sync but separately?

its a synth with a basic step sequencer. you can sync each step to a signal from the game boy. thats about it really. its pretty flexable though.

the only thing that really pisses me off is the lack of decent playable keyboard.

Czech republic

^ which is not a problem when you do the midi-in mod..

According to some youtube videos you can get the VCO out of the mix by setting it's LFO the way it's not audiable anymore. Sadly you cannot use LFO to modulate VCF then.

Last edited by ashimoke (Nov 27, 2012 3:35 pm)