Slovakia / European Union

I google that in Brazil used megadrive / genesis keyboard with modem.
http://segaretro.org/Mega_Drive_Keyboard

Question is it is possible to make PS/2 or USB-PS/2 keyboard interface for MD/GEN???
It will be cool for hombrew sound software or native tracker...

ad-hell-aide

Absolutely it's possible.

• Get a micro that acts as a USB host.
• Synchronise with a slave USB keyboard HID device
• Output keystroke data as some custom protocol that interfaces with the Genesis' 9-pin connector
• Publish the protocol and schematic and code, and encourage SEGA music software developers to include support in their music software

Sweeeeeeden

Maybe this could be done in a more simple way if Genesis has a clocked serial port of some kind similar to the Gameboy one, so it could interface PS2 directly. So, well, does it?

Boston, MA
little-scale wrote:

• Publish the protocol and schematic and code, and encourage SEGA music software developers to include support in their music software

lead by example!

ad-hell-aide

Yes it can do serial at 300, 1200, 2400 and 4800. On either joystick port or on the EXP port on a model 1.

From memory you have a single byte location in memory that is where the data is coming in, as well as a bit being set or reset depending on whether or not data is present at the memory location. I don't believe that it has a serial buffer as such, so you would need to take that into account.

ad-hell-aide
ultramega wrote:
little-scale wrote:

lead by example!

??

ad-hell-aide

I personally don't have any interest in making a keyboard interface for the genny smile

Boston, MA
little-scale wrote:

??

i meant open source gen mdm stuff so we can tinker with it

ad-hell-aide

lol

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs
little-scale wrote:
ultramega wrote:

lead by example!

??

If you don't think Seb has offered up enough open code on his blog to be leading by example, you're not reading it enough. smile

Last edited by 10k (Nov 29, 2012 5:25 am)

Slovakia / European Union

Ahh LIttlescale I can do only audio cables and max. AVR dice or LED tree by my self... But you are magician behind hardware here. Not me. And keyboard interface will be nice for NTRQ like tracker... Hmm what about YMTRQ for example...

Last edited by Tinctu (Nov 29, 2012 7:46 pm)

Brazil

The meganet keyboard doesnt work with games, it only works with the creepy modem cart.

But I have no idea about a moded keyboard. If Seb says it might work, who am I to disagree, right?

Also, there must be a code in that rom that could be used with reverse engineering to make the keyboard work with a music software for the genesis (I GUESS SO, i was doing a quick research and that shit doesnt have a rom).

But anyway, that was my brazilian contribution cause I guess there is a lot of info about the keyboard in portuguese, im gonna check it better later.

I have a keyboard made for Megadrive by Shinco and I believe it may come with a BASIC or some other type of educational program on the gamedvd - I was hoping someone would port a cool BASIC or make a megadrive OS that uses the keyboard, but so far none.  NES has them, why not Megadrive?