Philadelphia, PA

Hey! Sorry I missed the page, Nick.. I was rehabbing my broken back and trying to escape from a prison that is located in a deep pit somewhere in the middle east.

Anyway, yeah, I've been using the Monotribe live for a little while, probably similar to what Jellica mentioned -- mostly improvising harmony parts and messing with the filters for an added live effect. I use a wav instrument that sends out a "cv click" to the Monotribe; in order to get a clean signal of just that instrument sound, I use a second Game Boy synched with the one that's playing the main song. The 2nd Game Boy just sends the click to the Monotribe (note that you have to use a Pro Sound output), which is hooked into the mixer going to the PA also... So the audience hears the main Game Boy and the Monotribe but not the click. Does that all make sense?

Here are a few examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMlvfwKkkFM

http://youtu.be/r3IA-9irC20 (the game boy and the monotribe are playing basically the same exact melody until I start layering stuff, etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8THXB91dSm0 (that one is kinda boring but it's basically all monotribe except for the sound of the game boy keeping time.. i basically use the monotribe to improvise an extended intro for the main song)

São Paulo, Brazil
Jellica wrote:

the only thing that really pisses me off is the lack of decent playable keyboard.

The fact that it doesn't save different patterns pisses me way more.

And that is one of the reasons I'm selling it and buying a shruthi instead.

Philadelphia, PA
PULSELOOPER wrote:

The fact that it doesn't save different patterns pisses me way more.

That's actually true, definitely. The only mod I would consider doing would be something that fixed that, or maybe a midi mod that allowed me to send it a pattern on the fly from my laptop or something.

England

the thing that mainly pisses me off about the guitar is that it doesnt save my chords sad

haha sorry smile i mainly use it for improvisation so that doesnt bother me so much.

Los Angeles, CA

great responses! thanks!

Finland

Bought mine couple weeks ago and just loving it! I'll midi mod it for sure though really soon but even as noise / effect sound unit its pretty banging. Drums suck balls unless you're into really lo-fi acid techno. I'll probably decay mod kick and snare along the midi. Sync worked well with click track but then you have to really rehearse your stuff. It doesnt reset the step sequencer to beginning when you stop click track which is kinda confusing at least for me.

Murcia, Spain

One question that crossed my mind:

To be able to play the Monotribe with a DMG, you'd need an extra DMG, and then to connect it all you need a DMG-07 and 2 DMG-04 right?

Philadelphia, PA
DogTag wrote:

To be able to play the Monotribe with a DMG, you'd need an extra DMG, and then to connect it all you need a DMG-07 and 2 DMG-04 right?

Nope, not necessarily. I do use a 2nd Game Boy linked to the "master" audio Game Boy via a link cable, yes. But you don't need anything beyond a link cable to do it that way. On the other hand, you could just use ONE Game Boy and set up your song so the click sound is panned to one side and the other instruments are all panned to the other channel, and then just send that one channel to the Monotribe, etc.  I seriously recommend reading Nitro's page in its entirety: http://blog.gg8.se/wordpress/2011/09/28 … k-no-midi/

Note this paragraph:

"If you have an appropriate left/right splitter cable, you can pan the sync instrument to the left and all other instruments to the right, to get both sound and sync out of one Gameboy. If any sound instrument is panned to the sync channel, the monotribe will start rushing."

Murcia, Spain
chipocrite wrote:
DogTag wrote:

Nope, not necessarily. I do use a 2nd Game Boy linked to the "master" audio Game Boy via a link cable, yes. But you don't need anything beyond a link cable to do it that way. On the other hand, you could just use ONE Game Boy and set up your song so the click sound is panned to one side and the other instruments are all panned to the other channel, and then just send that one channel to the Monotribe, etc.  I seriously recommend reading Nitro's page in its entirety: http://blog.gg8.se/wordpress/2011/09/28 … k-no-midi/

Note this paragraph:

"If you have an appropriate left/right splitter cable, you can pan the sync instrument to the left and all other instruments to the right, to get both sound and sync out of one Gameboy. If any sound instrument is panned to the sync channel, the monotribe will start rushing."

I understand. But say you actually want one game boy doing all the musical work (you don't want to "waste" a channel with just the click) and the other with the click. In that case there's no other way beyond what I mentioned right?

EDIT: I re-read everything, now I think I got it better. Basically  with one link cable you can sync the two Game Boys, and on the Monotribe you'd plug the clicking game boy to the sync in. Then both Monotribe out and the master DMG will be plugged to whatever audio output you use. Is this the way? xD

Czech republic

As Note! mentioned it should be also possible to use LSDJ's "nanoloop" sync mode which outputs pulse clock. Needs to be devided obviously. What's the ppqn for monotribe sync?
This way you'd only need  gameboy and wouldn't lose stereo or noise channel...

Philadelphia, PA
DogTag wrote:

EDIT: I re-read everything, now I think I got it better. Basically  with one link cable you can sync the two Game Boys, and on the Monotribe you'd plug the clicking game boy to the sync in. Then both Monotribe out and the master DMG will be plugged to whatever audio output you use. Is this the way? xD

Yep yep yep! That's exactly it smile

Murcia, Spain

@ashimoke I'd like to hear about that too! O .O
@chipocrite Perfect! Thank you for your help : ) I'll grab a Monotribe very soon!