Hello Chipmusic community.
I'm currently working on TeensyBoy, a port or ArduinoBoy code on a teensy 2.0 (http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/)
Teensy got a ATMEGA32U4 which support usb directly and permit to build a lot of USB devices.
So why porting Arduinoboy on Teensy, 3 major reason: the size (very small), the price (16$), and the most important one : the midi via USB.
What does it mean, just plug it in your computer and it detect as a midi device, no drivers needed.

Current Project status :
All code modification done, just started testing.
- LSDJ Slave mode working
- LDSJ Master mode working
- LSDJ Keyboard mode working
- mGB mode working.

not tested :
- nano loop mode

don't work correctly:
- LSDJ LiveMap mode
- LSDJ midiout mode

I'm not a chip musician so i don't know that much LSDJ, and i don't exactly know which version of LSDJ is needed for the liveMAP and Midiout arduinoboy mode
For Arduinoboy Midiout mode do i need to set LSDJ in sync : midi ?
For Arduinoboy Livemap mode, whic sync mode in lsdj do i need to select ?

I don't own nanoloop so i cannot test it now ..

When i got all mode working correctly i will need some help from you to test if everything is working fine.
Ideally if someone want to test it and have a working arduinoboy to compare it could be helpful.

Tokyo, Japan

Clarified topic

sweden

- LSDJ LiveMap mode
- LSDJ midiout mode

Need a special LSDJ rom.

Hi,
Thanks for the clarification
Do you know where I can get it ?? ( I already have a lsdj account)

Thanks in advance

Puerto Rico

http://littlesounddj.com/lsd/latest/ful … inoboy.zip

EDIT: I'm looking at the pins on the teensy next to the ones on the arduino mini and I don't get it, is the build similar enough for someone to figure it out on their own or will you release a guide to that when the code is done?

Last edited by Xuriik (Dec 4, 2012 9:10 am)

Xuriik wrote:

http://littlesounddj.com/lsd/latest/ful … inoboy.zip

EDIT: I'm looking at the pins on the teensy next to the ones on the arduino mini and I don't get it, is the build similar enough for someone to figure it out on their own or will you release a guide to that when the code is done?

Thanks for the link .. will try the last Arduinoboy to  teensyboy mode (live map and midi out) to see if it is working ...
I will of course release schematics which are very simple  (few Leds + Resistor, 1 switch + 1 resistor and that's it)
The pin used are  (check the pin on teensy site : http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/pinout.html) :
GB cable pin 21,20,19
Leds pin 11 to 16 (can be easily changed)
Switch pin 22

As i don't own a Arduinoboy and i'm not a chip musician, i will need some people to test to be sure everything is working as expected

EDIT : by the way, do you know what is the sync mode "midi" in LSDJ the classic one (not the custom arduinoboy version)

Last edited by xray303 (Dec 4, 2012 11:40 am)

Did some quick test with the Arduinoboy version of LSDJ.

getting good results with livemap mode.
but getting strange results with Midiout. It seems that these probleme are coming from a misunderstanding on how midi out is working. Just saw 1 hour ago how to use it using effect command NQXY. Will continue testing tomorow.

If someone is using a lot this mode and want to give me a little .sav with a small song to test, will be happy to do because my knowledge in LSDJ is quite small.

Just posted schematics on my blog : http://noizeinabox.blogspot.com/2012/12/teensyboy.html

Unsubscribe

What problems are you having specifically? Its not very complicated.

the manual wrote:

N - Sends a MIDI Note - Absolute to the value placed in the effect. N00 sends note off, N01-N6F send notes 1 to 112.
                Q - Sends a MIDI Note relative to the current channel's pitch. The effect value is a offset. so Q0C in PU1 would send a note 1 octave higher than what Pu1 is currently playing. This is useful as a table command to track midi notes as normal notes in the sequencer.
                X - Sends a MIDI CC - By default in Arduinoboy the high nibble selects a CC#, and the low nibble sends a value [0-F] to [0-127]. This can be changed to allow just 1 midi CC with a range of 00-6F, or 7 CCs with scaled or unscaled values.

My Note: You need to set this either by editing the arduinocode or using the maxpat editor
                Y - Sends a program/patch/preset change.

Unsubscribe

This may come in handy
http://www.wavosaur.com/download/midi-note-hex.php

I just made this from it

Whoops.. just ignore everything up from 6f.

Last edited by herr_prof (Dec 7, 2012 12:22 am)

Arduino mini pros are 10$ on the bay. Just saying. This is even for the 328, i think the 168 might be a dorra less, and these are the ones thats hella easy to build inside your gameboy, because the FTDI is left out. If you want one with ftdi innit, you can buy the nano for like 13 bucks, and if those will fit very good too, if you just remove those jumper pins.
But you cant mess with the native usb-midi of teensy though.

Last edited by Nizzemanden (Dec 7, 2012 8:31 am)

herr_prof wrote:

What problems are you having specifically? Its not very complicated.

the manual wrote:

N - Sends a MIDI Note - Absolute to the value placed in the effect. N00 sends note off, N01-N6F send notes 1 to 112.
                Q - Sends a MIDI Note relative to the current channel's pitch. The effect value is a offset. so Q0C in PU1 would send a note 1 octave higher than what Pu1 is currently playing. This is useful as a table command to track midi notes as normal notes in the sequencer.
                X - Sends a MIDI CC - By default in Arduinoboy the high nibble selects a CC#, and the low nibble sends a value [0-F] to [0-127]. This can be changed to allow just 1 midi CC with a range of 00-6F, or 7 CCs with scaled or unscaled values.

My Note: You need to set this either by editing the arduinocode or using the maxpat editor
                Y - Sends a program/patch/preset change.

effectively it is not complicated .. but the complicated tasks is sometimes to find the documentation smile

Czech republic
Nizzemanden wrote:

But you cant mess with the native usb-midi of teensy though.

And that is the point. Teensy 2.0 is also smaller then Arduino pro mini. And has mini usb socket which can be used not only for usb midi but also program updates / tweaking and charging bult in batteries

Unsubscribe

Midi is the easy part, believe me. It might make sense to hook it up to a midi monitor in the beginning to make sure the right bits are going wherever. For me teensy being usb midi only is a liability, not a feature, but the more people using lsdj midi out is in my interests big_smile

Milwaukee, WI

Thinking about buying one of these to stick into my DMG, (you might even be able to fit one into a color!).  But they price of those nano's on ebay is reaalllly nice.

http://www.femtoduino.com/