Arad, Romania

So I bought two albums simultaneously off Bandcamp three weeks ago and I couldn't download them until today. The problem is the link expired and it told me that I can buy them again. I contacted the composer and he did give me some alternatives to download the tracks (they are basically free on his website and also available as a torrent) but they aren't as good as the Bandcamp versions (FLAC and also different rendering because the original files were Impulse Tracker module files).

I wasn't gonna settle for those inferior downloads and the composer couldn't really help me any further but then I noticed that you can report this sort of issue to the staff at Bandcamp. So I did that, I sent them the email I received after I purchased the albums; it contains the download link and everything. My question is, does this sort of thing actually work? Do they give you a new link or am I just wasting my time hoping that they'll do that? Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Yeah, I know this topic doesn't exactly relate to the forum though the albums are chip music and chip music composers use Bandcamp quite frequently I think, so this was pretty much the best place for me to ask.

sweden

I had no idea that those codes expired. I lost a bunch of releases in a HD-failure so I guess I cant download them again with the same codes then.

Arad, Romania

If this works you better not delete the receipt emails or you'll have to buy them again. I'll let you know if they actually give you new links or maybe someone else can confirm it.

Abandoned on Fire

I would have expected the artist to provide you with download codes.  Thats what i would have done.
Or just download the album themselves a get it to you through dropbox or something.

Last edited by egr (Dec 1, 2012 8:07 pm)

Arad, Romania

I did suggest download codes to him when I emailed him but he didn't say anything about that. He's Russian and he doesn't speak English very well so I'm not sure he understood everything I said. I also didn't want to bother him any further since it's not that big of a deal.

Comment removed.

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 7:00 am)

rochester, ny
egr wrote:

I would have expected the artist to provide you with download codes.  Thats what i would have done.
Or just download the album themselves a get it to you through dropbox or something.

yeah, same here. also, chances are slim that these bands didn't have extra download codes they could have given out.

Chicago IL, USA

Honestly FLAC on bandcamp doesn't really stand for anything. It's really only worth it if you know the musician uploaded the highest quality track with good recording/mastering/etc. I could record a song on my laptop's built in mic, export 96kbps mp3, transcode to wav, and upload on bandcamp and if someone downloaded flac it wouldn't be anything other than a label really.

edit: and even if the FLAC is super legit awesome quality, unless you only listen to music on a nice stereo or nice headphones, there is no point. you probably already know all this, but just throwing it out there just in case.

Last edited by SadPanda (Dec 1, 2012 8:59 pm)

Arad, Romania

I download the highest quality available because digital music is meant to be encoded in CD quality (at least). The guy told me how he exported the files so it's legit and I have some software that can detect if the audio is lossless or encoded from MP3 or something like that.

Comment removed.

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 7:00 am)

Arad, Romania

I did receive a new link for my purchase...two days later, after I already bought the albums again lol. It doesn't really matter, the guy deserves the money.