So I have a clear DMG and a can of Krylon Glowz and was wanting to spray the inside of the DMG with it.  I tested the paint on a random piece of plastic and it came out kind of thick and globby and as it dried, it appeared to crack.  I plan to back it with white paint but did not try that yet.  My question is, has anyone done this before?  I saw one person do it but personally, I think it looks terrible in normal light and I want this to look excellent so I can sell it.  Any suggestions?  Probably shouldn't risk it, right?

Andromeda's Black Hole

I'd advice you to keep trying on pieces of plastic with different methods and kinds of paint. this could be worth the effort.

How is your spraying technique? If you say it came out thick and globby, maybe you sprayed from too close and a bit too much.

practice your spraying on other materials.
some guidelines:

stay about 20 - 40 cm above from the object
Always start and stop away from the object
Make gentle strokes, left, right, over the object you want to spray, not too fast, but not too slow, so you form an even coat.
Always wait for the first coat to dry before adding a second one (read the label for drying times) If you spray an extra layer on a soft layer, the first layer isn't able to dry correctly, and will stay fragile.

hecka sick idea!

I feel pretty confident that I am good with a can of paint.  I can't do crazy designs but I am pretty even and I know the rules to applying it.  I've painted other DMG's before as well as other projects and they always come out great.  I think this glow-in-dark paint just sucks.  If my research is correct, then the glow-in-the-dark pigment is added via a powder substance to the paint and that could be causing the thickening problem.  Maybe I'll spend more time shaking the can to break it up more.  The main problem was how it looked when it dried.  It looked like a dry river bed after it dried.  All cracked and stuff.  I might scrap this idea.  Maybe someone else will attempt it and be successful but I don't want to ruin a clear boy.

The thing with spraying clear gameboys is: it doesn't really matter how they look on the inside. It can be cracked an globby, as long as it covers all it'll look good from the outside.

Unless the cracks are too big and split up the paint layer.

You should test it on a tranparent plastic container of some sort. See how it looks from the other side.

I did test it on a tupperware bowl and then a clear CD case.  I cleaned them and dried them thoroughly then sprayed them and as they dried, thick cracks formed.  Looked terrible from the outside.  I've never seen paint do that before.  I'm just not going to attempt it.  Maybe I'll attempt it on the outside of a normal DMG first but I need to get some white as a base coat first.  I'm willing to risk a greyboy but not a clearboy.

washington

Maybe it's just really crappy paint.

I can't find any plastic-specific glow in the dark paint, either.

Indeed.. Maybe it's just crappy paint after all. Well, at least you tried big_smile
Better not risk it then.

Although I do recall seeing some glowing gameboys...

I kinda thought since it's Krylon, it wouldn't be too bad (it's definitely not Montana though) but I was wrong.  It's supposed to be safe on plastic and the label shows a light switch painted with it so I thought it would work.  But alas it is crappy.  Tried it on a third piece of plastic and it still came out bad.

I saw glow in the dark DMGs on djtransformers site once I believe but they aren't there anymore.  Apparently there is a Japanese glow-in-the-dark pocket.  That would be sweet to have...

Sometimes it can just be the can that sucks. Montana usually is great stuff, but I sometimes had a can with chunks in it...