Melbourne, Australia

So I got this old dead game boy at a garage sale a few years ago for 5 bucks.
It doesn't work, and the battery compartment looks like this:

Do you think if I cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner or something similar to clean the corrosion, it might work again?
Obviously there's a stack of other things that could be the problem (and this is my first time so be gentle).

Another crappy internal shot:

Are there common things that tend to kill old DMGs (other then kids)?

Austin, Texas

That looks decent enough, but it's not as though I could tell you how or why it doesn't work from a picture.

There are a ton of good threads on basic DMG cleaning and maintenance, but in short:

• 91% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol is the best general cleaner for circuits and case parts. Lightly apply to oxidized contacts or grime to remove.

• White Vinegar dissolves corrosion (the green/blue circuit funk) in a chemical reaction. Lightly apply white vinegar with a damped cotton swab to corrosion on battery contacts or other surfaces to repair some intermittent connections.

• Use rubbing alcohol once more to clean switches and potentiometers: Use rubbing alcohol on a damped cotton swab to soak a few drops into sticky switches and scratchy potentiometers, then switch the switches or roll the potentiometers back and forth a couple dozen times. Let them dry out and see how they function.

Hopefully some of that helps. smile Good luck! big_smile

Last edited by Telerophon (Dec 9, 2012 8:34 am)

Melbourne, Australia
Telerophon wrote:

That looks decent enough, but it's not as though I could tell you how or why it doesn't work from a picture.

There are a ton of good threads on basic DMG cleaning and maintenance, but in short:

• 91% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol is the best general cleaner for circuits and case parts. Lightly apply to oxidized contacts or grime to remove.

• White Vinegar dissolves corrosion (the green/blue circuit funk) in a chemical reaction. Lightly apply white vinegar with a damped cotton swab to corrosion on battery contacts or other surfaces to repair some intermittent connections.

• Use rubbing alcohol once more to clean switches and potentiometers: Use rubbing alcohol on a damped cotton swab to soak a few drops into sticky switches and scratchy potentiometers, then switch the switches or roll the potentiometers back and forth a couple dozen times. Let them dry out and see how they function.

Hopefully some of that helps. smile Good luck! big_smile

Thanks Telerophon, I always see you around these parts and you're always helpful to everyone. I'm going to go find some white vinegar big_smile

Melbourne, Australia

It worked! I fixed it big_smile
This could the start of something beautiful, thank you!

Murcia, Spain
Madhatter wrote:

It worked! I fixed it big_smile
This could the start of something beautiful, thank you!

For the sake of curiosity, what did you do to make it work? : P

Melbourne, Australia
DogTag wrote:

For the sake of curiosity, what did you do to make it work? : P

I gave it about 20 minutes of scrubbing (on the metal contacts) with cuetips soaked in white vinegar.
Once everything was nice and wet, I scratched at the rust that had built up (because of the corrosion?) and then hit it with a bit more scrubbing and vinegar.
I kept testing it every 10 minutes or so and would get disappointed each time. Just as I was about to give up, that beautiful little red LED came on. I wish I could have recorded my face at that point, I feel like a king.
Then I went on to fix a few other gadgets that had similar problems and they work now too heart

Last edited by Madhatter (Dec 9, 2012 10:55 am)

matt's mind

another good trick for cleaning cases:  run them through a dishwasher cycle (top rack).

unless your washer has a heating thing on the top rack too, then probably not. 

it gets them squeaky.

Toronto
kitsch wrote:

another good trick for cleaning cases:  run them through a dishwasher cycle (top rack).

it gets them squeaky.

this makes me wish i still had a dishwasher. >:

my mom's basement
kitsch wrote:

it gets them squeaky.

Will that remove sharpie? Because my gameboy is heavily doodled upon.

Austin, Texas
Catf1sh wrote:

Try rubbing alcohol for the sharpie too, but this doesn't always completely remove it, especially upon textured plastic.

Telerophon wrote:
Catf1sh wrote:

Try rubbing alcohol for the sharpie too, but this doesn't always completely remove it, especially upon textured plastic.

Nope. Toothpaste.

Apply toothpaste to a cloth and rub it into the shell.

Last edited by cris2600 (Dec 9, 2012 6:28 pm)

NC in the US of America

Is contact cleaner spray discouraged? I never see that as a suggestion. Could spraying it all up in the guts of the Gameboy cause problems?

Rhode Island
Catf1sh wrote:

1: Get a dry erase marker.
2: Cover the sharpie marks with dry erase marker.
3: Wipe off with a cloth after it sits for a couple seconds.
4: Repeat as necessary.

Austin, Texas
Madhatter wrote:

Thanks Telerophon, I always see you around these parts and you're always helpful to everyone.

Oh youuuu~~ :3

Last edited by Telerophon (Dec 10, 2012 7:33 pm)