Milwaukee, WI

I wrote the script of a musical for my schools band program (it's a quirky variety show that the band has been putting on for a long time).  While the whole show was good fun (I played Captain James T Clef... wink ), I'm particularly proud of this number called the "Droid Dance".  With some sewing help I put together 7 EL wire suits (soldering this is no fun).  My friend did the choreography and I did the music -- on LSDJ of course.  Pretty neat considering a few hundred community members saw this.

(There's some pretty nasty blur here.  I'm sure there will be more recordings in the future, but if you're friends with me on facebook, there's a better one on there.)

And the music (not my favorite, but I think it fits).

https://soundcloud.com/thetafrost/droid-dance-last-cut

Last edited by Theta_Frost (Dec 10, 2012 9:48 pm)

Melbourne, Australia

Friggin' awesome. I love EL wire.
How was the syncing done?

Canada

This is absolutely fantastic!
Love it.

washington

Reminds me of Tron. In the good way. smile

Utah

Fantastic job!

Unsubscribe

Man that has to be tough dancing in the dark like that.. good job!

sweden

awesome!

Madriz, Supain

what the hell is an EL wire and how do I get some?

West Palm Beach, FL

That was amazing

Slovakia / European Union

Wow this is beautiful... I am TRON fan. And this looks amazing...

BOSTON

SO FUCKING COOL

i want those suits

Milwaukee, WI

Thanks guys!  A lot of work went into this, so I'm glad you like it.  I like Tron too. big_smile

Madhatter wrote:

Friggin' awesome. I love EL wire.
How was the syncing done?

I just wired up a handheld toggle switch on each suit.  Cheap and easy, but practicing the timing was difficult.  Dancing in the dark WAS hard.  If I had to do this all over again, I might go with a fancier timed solution.

SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

what the hell is an EL wire and how do I get some?

It's a thin copper wire coated in phosphor that glows when current is run through it.  Different colored sheaths yield other color glows.  You can buy it all over the place, but good luck putting it together. wink