I used to use 8bc, before it... well, whatever happened to it.
Excuse this kinda thing for being my first post, but under Creative Commons, is it okay to use music here (with permission) in YouTube videos, like blogs and what not? Listened to chip for quite some time (not hipster amounts mind you), and would love to use it really, as royalty free stuff is just... well.. nowhere near as good.

Cheers guys. I'll upload some of my own music if I can find it.

uhajdafdfdfa

you can see on the individual page for each individual song which license that song is licensed under as it is varies over the songs, they are not all the same license

BY: you can use this in your youtube video if you say who it is  by and link back to the page on cm.o
BY-SA: as BY but you must release your youtube video under a BY-SA license
BY-ND: no, you can't use it in a youtube video
BY-NC: as BY but only as long as you are not profiting from it
BY-NC-SA: as BY-SA but only as long as you are not profiting from it
BY-NC-ND: no, you can't use it in a youtube video
CC0: do whatever you want
"all rights reserved": no, you can't use it in a youtube video

if you contact the author directly and explain what you want to do you may be able to get permission to use things even if they are say they are BY-ND or all rights reserved

hope this helps

Brilliantly clear. Thanks ^___^. I only really want to use it as background music, although I will always link to it. I'm seeing (here and elsewhere) it's mostly BY-NC-SA, and since my account is monetized I couldn't do that I don't think. Kinda new to it, but I'm sure I'll find something. Don't want to be a pest and ask someone every single time I like a song whether I can use it.

Chicago IL

If your account is monetized you can't really put anything up that you don't own the rights to.

As far as I know I can put up BY content, right? If not then good thing I've just started out on this.

uhajdafdfdfa

from the cc side, that's fine.

youtube say you can only monetize your video if "You are able to provide documentation proving you own commercial rights to all audio and video content."

cc gives you the right to use it commercially, but do you technically "own commercial rights" to it? dunno ("IANAL", as they say...)

Last edited by ant1 (Dec 10, 2012 11:25 pm)

Freiburg, Germany

also you can un-monetize single videos

Slovakia / European Union

But always ask author/composer/musician first before you will put His/Her song into your video (to be sure)!!! It is good custom to ask people first smile...

Last edited by Tinctu (Dec 10, 2012 11:45 pm)

IL, US

depending on how seriously the artist takes the NC stuff, all youtube may be out the window even if you arent monetizing it (but just based on youtube itself being a commercial website)

Freiburg, Germany

That is true. if it's NC definitely ask nicely

Chicago IL

you should ask nicely no matter what, because there's no need for you to put them on youtube for "blogs and what not"

Freiburg, Germany

I personally don't care if anyone uses my music for what ever crap they want if I put it under CC-BY as long as they don't forget the attribution. It's exposure either way. I've had somebody not use my music for a project once because I saw the message too late, and I really would have wanted to be part of it.

Brunswick, GA USA
Saskrotch wrote:

If your account is monetized you can't really put anything up that you don't own the rights to.

YouTube copyright bots had trouble understanding that I have license to use music I composed myself,i think the CC licenses are far too mind-blowing for them.

They also asked me to sign affidavits for posting my versions of Bach and Beethoven pieces.