Murcia, Spain

Hello everyone!

I wanted to know which tool do you use to make the hole on the DMG case for this mod. I've seen people on Youtube using drills with conic ends, but I asked in my local shop for a conic 3.5mm and they told me that does not exist O.O

Jyväskylä, Finland

I made holes with drill bit like this:

I wonder if they used dremel with conic bit in the videos..?

Murcia, Spain
Pale wrote:

I wonder if they used dremel with conic bit in the videos..?

Yeah that was exactly what I was meaning. Sorry but I sometimes forget important English technical vocabulary xD

I forgot to say that the man in my local shop offered me a 3.5mm bit made of cobalt, which he said was perfect for plastic.. Any tip on that?

Jyväskylä, Finland
DogTag wrote:

I forgot to say that the man in my local shop offered me a 3.5mm bit made of cobalt, which he said was perfect for plastic.. Any tip on that?

I don't have any idea from that, sorry sad
If you use standard drill bit to do a hole, it might be good idea to do first a small hole with smaller bit. I've heard otherwise plastic would crack...

I just use a drill. Start with 2 mm or so, then 4 and then 6 mm to fit in the female jack thing.
not really rocket science i guess.

Matthew Joseph Payne

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Industrial- … s=step+bit

Murcia, Spain

@Timbob It's supposed to be for a female minijack. What you meant is a jack like the one on guitars right?

@kineticturtle Dear god, how expensive xD

Czech republic

Only heavy duty drills for metal are made of cobalt afaik. You don't really need that.

edit: and Timbob is correct, 5.5mm or 6mm is fine for 3.5mm jack (you need to drill the outer diameter, not the inner 3.5mm)

Last edited by ashimoke (Dec 15, 2012 4:30 pm)

Cleveland, OH

Best bit for this:
http://www.amazon.com/Insty-Bit-1-4-For … B001ENU79Q

México, DF.

A screwdriver and a lighter.

Puerto Rico

I used an exacto knife and a lighter, the result is ugly, but the jack's little ring covers up the hole anyway so unless you have one of those premade prosound boards where the jack's just like the standard dmg jack, it doesn't have to be perfect, just don't crack the plastic and it'll look like this:

New Albany Indiana

Get a dremel son.

KC

yeah a dremel comes in real handy when you're doing stuff like modding gameboys, models, etc, etc.

Murcia, Spain

Thank you all for your answers!

I think I'll go for the "take it easy" thing. I'll start with the thinnest bit I have and then keep changing it to a bigger one until it fits perfectly.

I know a dremel is the best thing for mods, but I'm not planning to do this "massively", so it's not worth for me to get one right now.

KC

well they're pretty damn handy anyway.

for more than just modding gameboys

Murcia, Spain

Yeah well... I wouldn't use it for more than just that... xD