Puerto Rico

I recently came into possession into what seems to be an aPad M003 running "android 2.1". I'm not sure because it came in a plain white box that only says "Made in China" on the side; no dox, and on the back just says

"ID no: 
M-003"

And some other voltage specs.

The OS on this is HORRIBLY slow, I can't even connect to most protected wifi networks, and the included packages are really bad software as well. The hardware makes me think it can be usable, and may even have some musical possibilities, but a few searches on google and the slatedroid forums don't really help me as to what would be the best (preferrably really slim) OS to run on this and make this usable. I'm pretty good with technology but have zero experience with tablets of any kind. Just wondering if any of you could help me out? Here's a picture of it I found online, I'd take one myself but it looks just like this.

matt's mind

are there any logos or anything that looks like a manufacturer's ID in that instruction manual?  a lot of times the same model is picked up by several manufacturers.  clones of clones.

unlocking it and removing all/most the chinese software package would be the first thing i'd do, install the official store if you wish (which is tricky a lot of the time).  or just install apps if you can transfer them to memory via USB and leave the store alone.  preferably its got SD abilities

knowing what the chipset is would really help knowing what you could do with it.  do the instructions have this info?  maybe "rockchip" and some #s?

but, before you erase anything....  PLEASE go and listen/watch all the random media they include on them.  i've found some totally weird stuff before, a lot of it is pop music though.  one particular chinese girl group lately on chinese knock-offs, but i can't remember their name.   girl generation maybe?

Italy
kitsch wrote:

one particular chinese girl group lately on chinese knock-offs, but i can't remember their name.   girl generation maybe?

Girls' Generation (or SNSD) actually are south-koreans

Anyway, I don't really have experience with android but I guess you first need to know if your hardware is compatible with the newer versions of android, maybe there's some app that identifies the hardware. You also need to be root on the tablet in order to do that kind of upgrade, but not sure on how to do that

Puerto Rico

Mine didn't even bring the manual, I've got everything included in the picture but that.

I checked most of the apps and there's nothing silly or noteworthy, will check for music or other media later.

And yeah, it does have SD capabilities but no manufacturer's ID or anything. It's like these people didn't want anyone to know these tablets were even manufactured.

kitsch wrote:

just install apps if you can transfer them to memory via USB

I can do this, or transfer them via the SD card, but I don't know what the appropriate format for apps is. I got a .jar for opera browser online but I don't know how to run it, just selecting it on the file browser tells me there's no app that can open that file format.

http://www.slatedroid.com/wiki/index.php?title=M003

Here are some specs for the actual m003, mine has a few differences like the fact that it DOES have a camera. I'm about to try to install one of those custom firmwares at the end of the page, will report back later.

Last edited by Xuriik (Dec 16, 2012 7:26 pm)