Chicago, IL

I have taken the initiative to start little-scale's Teensy project that can be found here: http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2011/0 … or-16.html

I have gathered all the supplies and have all materials needed to start this project (i believe). I have the teensy board (no breadboard), USB-mini B cable, GB sync cable ready for splicing, two different DAW's that can send a MIDI beat clock (FL studio 9, Protools 10), and a gameboy. Now after confidently purchasing all of the supplies that I didn't already have, I am not so confident with the approach/assembly. I have several questions ready for anyone available to help.

How do I go about connecting the sync cable to the Teensy? I see that he has soldered to some sort of object and then has two wires coming from that piece to the Teensy. Is this necessary? Am I able to solder the sync cable straight to the Teensy?

Is Teensy_GB_sync.hex the only program I need to put on the Teensy? If so, won't I be able to sync the teensy LED to the MIDI clock without the Sync cable being attached?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

ohio gozaimasu
squidula wrote:

How do I go about connecting the sync cable to the Teensy? I see that he has soldered to some sort of object and then has two wires coming from that piece to the Teensy. Is this necessary? Am I able to solder the sync cable straight to the Teensy?

If I remember the video correctly, that's just a typical breadboard setup. He only has it like that because it's not as permanent and it's good for testing different setups. Just solder it straight to the Teensy and you're good!

squidula wrote:

Is Teensy_GB_sync.hex the only program I need to put on the Teensy? If so, won't I be able to sync the teensy LED to the MIDI clock without the Sync cable being attached?

Yep, that's all you need. And yes, the LED blinks according to the MIDI clock, regardless of whether or not a gameboy is connected.

Last edited by Cooshinator (Oct 25, 2012 12:10 am)

Chicago, IL

So according to what is actually attached to the Teensy, there is only two connections (being Ground, and SC pin to Pin 0 [B0])??

And I am not getting the LED to light up to my MIDI clock. Is there any crucial step I am missing?

Thank you so much!!

Chicago, IL

I'm actually not seeing the Teensy being recognized as a MIDI device at all.

ohio gozaimasu
squidula wrote:

I'm actually not seeing the Teensy being recognized as a MIDI device at all.

I think I had that problem. I don't really know a simple fix, sadly.

I do, however, remember that following the steps to go through the Arduino interface and then compiling it myself worked.

Chicago, IL

So the hex file is not all I need? poop. mk

As far as the final product goes, it is successful at syncing the GB?

ohio gozaimasu

Yes, although I've never used it extensively so I am not completely aware of how reliable/durable it is.

Godzilladelph

I'm assuming you already read this? if not, def check it out http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2011/0 … or-16.html

i've been using teensy with arduino programs for a little bit now, and i know before you compile arduino code you need to set out put and input within the arduino compiler to midi.

perhaps the same can be said with teensy? a setting inside the bootloader, perhaps?

Chicago, IL

Yes I'm having a hard time with the Teensy on the arduino software now. Everytime I run a sketch there is an error, I am not sure if the driver was installed correctly. I am somewhat in over my head at this point and I am pretty lost.

D:

ohio gozaimasu

Make sure you read over little-scale's instructions thoroughly, there are a few important steps that are somewhat easy to miss.

Chicago, IL

Okay I think I have made some progress.

I can run a sketch on teensy, it then tells me to hit the reset button on the Teensy to upload the sketch, but when I hit the reset button, Windows tells me USB device not recognized. But the driver was installed by the teensyduino loader exe.

Chicago, IL

When I try to upload little-scale's sketch to the teensy, it will repeatedly go into automatic mode where I will repeatedly hit the reset button. turning automatic mode off is temporary because when I hit the reset button again to upload the sketch, it will go back to automatic mode.

Once in a while, it will tell me to wait and try again in a few seconds because the teensy is busy with another program.

Also, once in a while it will give me the "usb device not recognized" BUT the teensyduino exe only installs the usb serial driver, not the usb midi driver.
i have followed little-scale's instructions carefully and i'm going to continue to go over them because i know i am missing something.

if anyone can the correct usb midi driver for the teensy, holla at me

Chicago, IL

Haha no one is replying to this any more, BUT after ignoring the teensy for a day, FL studio has decided to display the Teensy as a MIDI hardware port. and when I press play pause or stop in the DAW, the Teensy blinks, once. It does not blink to the BPM, yet, but is recognizing that MIDI data is being received! Any steps I might be missing?

Hi,

never tried with the hex file, but if you use arduino IDE with the source code, there is some important step that you need to do before :
to use the realtime midi data you need to upgrade the teensy core  : http://little-scale.blogspot.co.uk/2011 … -beat.html

before compiling you need to choose in arduino IDE> tools > usb type >midi
And to be sure you are sending correct midi realtime data, maybe try with another software like Midi-OX to send the clock.