Philly

Hey strangers.
Months ago I bought a couple backlight kits from nonfinite to mod my Game Boys.  They worked great except that it made the Game Boy difficult to close.  I was able to get the thing completely shut but then the front faceplate would sort of balloon out or the buttons wouldn't work.  I managed to leave the screws untightened and it worked properly but the Game Boy was never fully closed.
Fast forward to today: all of my gear was stolen out of my car recently.  Fortunately I have some spare Game Boys to mod but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or if I'm just a dingus.  Also, I've heard wonderful things about Kitsch's EL panels but they are currently out of stock and I'm afraid I might have the same spacing problems. 
Any suggestions on the way to go?

apeshit's backlights have 4 LEDs! Super bright! I think that with all current model backlights (or most) that you have to clip some of the white plastic frame that holds the LCD screen in place. if you don't clip it for the wires to run down to the pcb, the gameboy shell will bulge. This happened to me (or some variation on it) and it caused my screen lens to pop up. bogus.

BK

I would try and get more recent backlight revisions since they're thinner and are less likely to cause case closing issues. I know it's tempting to save a few bucks on the older ones but it's worth it
Also I'm really really sorry to hear your stuff got stolen- I hope you have your stuff backed up!

Philly

The bummer is that I did use the recent Nonfinite ones (and I think I clipped the plastic) hmm

Philly

Alright, I'm in the process now, they definitely protrude a little.    Any ideas?

Philly

Also, this is what it SHOULD look like hmm

The only way around it is to remove the plastic frame, or buy a thinner backlight. You typically have to ease off on the front PCB screws to avoid making the plastic bulge.

Philly

Hm alright.  I know for the old Nonfinite ones back in the day you had to remove some of it, thanks for the speedy response dude!  Do I have to get rid of the whole thing?

Hello! I also got the kit from Nonfinite and finished the backlight mod yesterday and also had the same problem. I believe the thickness of the LED causes it. Later I managed to close the case 95% The screen protector replacement that I bought has problem to fit properly, as the front is not 100% flat as before. I may have to use super glue later lol. I don't advise remove the plastic frame. It helps to hold the LED, but I need to use some electric tape to adjust the screen to a proper position. If I don't use tape, the screen display will shift slightly off when I screwed back the PCB to the case.

Hi. In this case you should remove solder points on motherboard which are under lcd screen. than you'll have a much more place to put backlight panel and lcd screen togheter. a white frame should stay because it holds a backlight panel and lcd screen in properly position. just visit my blog and watch how i did it. my dmg works perfect, and shape of console is original. look:
http://modshow.blogspot.com/p/podswietlenie-v3.html

the pictures should be enough, to understan what i mean. but if you want read a text with any translator. bye wink