Montgomery, AL

(reposted from the Fami forums)

I'm new to famitracker, coming from using MPT for a long time. To help myself learn the program better, I'm creating tunes that I've done on MPT in Fami.

Seeing as the triangle channel's volume is unable to be altered, I thought using one of the extra pulse channels on MMC5 as a workaround would be suitable if I wanted a more detailed bass line; I see that there isn't exactly an option to create as many pulse/DPCM channels as one would like.

One particular track needs just one extra pulse channel to really shine, but I'd rather not tango with FDS and the like at the moment, and do not want to give up my pulse-bass. I thought of opening up two instances of famitracker to reach the desired effect, as I figured this is possible (albeit redundant) in MPT, but it's just not happening.

Is there any way possible to have two Famitracker applications open at the same time? Or do I have to bite the bullet and try one of the other module formats?

Also, if this is in the wrong section, please move it; thanks much.

California, United States

My recommendation is just to use another module format, I don't really know what you expect to get by running two windows of FamiTracker at the same time, it's better to just export it as wav and if you really want more bass, mute the other channels except the bass and export it as another wav file, put both files in audacity, tune it to your likely and export as whatever you want.

Montgomery, AL

Nah, I'm not doing this for more bass.  Rather, I'd like two pulse channels for the lead (one channel for an echo/delay), and two more pulse channels for an accompanied line, but I also want a pulse channel so I can have more freedom with a bass line.  With your suggestion in mind, I may just have to have two separate files and have the duplicate have the "echo" only.  I had in mind that two Fami windows would be less complicated and time consuming in the end.

Doxic wrote:

My recommendation is just to use another module format

i would agree^..

to answer your question, i do now know of a way to do what you are trying to do sad

California, United States
Pieces of Eight wrote:

Nah, I'm not doing this for more bass.  Rather, I'd like two pulse channels for the lead (one channel for an echo/delay), and two more pulse channels for an accompanied line, but I also want a pulse channel so I can have more freedom with a bass line.  With your suggestion in mind, I may just have to have two separate files and have the duplicate have the "echo" only.  I had in mind that two Fami windows would be less complicated and time consuming in the end.

Oh you want an echo? You can play around with echoing on the same channel, somewhat hard to do and it's not the best way to do it, but if you really don't want to use an expansion chip, try it out.

Tokyo, Japan

Why not try using vrc6 rather than mmc5?

Montgomery, AL

I'm familiar with how to achieve an echo effect on one channel (enter the same note three/six rows down, drop the volume 50/75% of the original value, etc); but I'd prefer using a dup'ed channel for what I usually do with my leads; a preference I know is not readily available without some sacrifice.

As for vrc6, I'd have to play around with the Sawtooth channel some more, but so far the sound I'm getting out of it isn't what I had in mind.   

Like I said before, I'm just now venturing into the Wonderful World of Famitracker.   big_smile

Montgomery, AL

OK, Prob solved, thanks to jrlepage.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34026765/singleinstance.png

I wouldn't have thought that an option in the Config would keep this from happening, tbh.  : |

Playboy Man-Baby

First thing I thought of was that old 8bc thread where someone asked this and was told to duct tape the two .exe's together.

If you want the NES sounds but don't necessarily want the other restrictions, you can create samples with famitracker by just playing a note and cutting it immedietely, exporting it as a wave, and cropping it in audacity or openmpt's sample editor.  Just be sure to include the long line in between the waves or it will sound too smooth.  Then you can use the samples in whatever tracker you want.  If you have a more complicated instrument, like with a duty cycle envelope, you can still do this, you'll just have a longer sample.

uhajdafdfdfa

the VGM format can support two of each type of chip simultaneously

and there are tools to combine VGM files together

beyond this i know nothing

good luck

Montgomery, AL

Carbon:  I have a good stack of samples like those already I use, but good note; I'll look into making my own samples when I go back to ModPlug-ing.

Someone already clued me in on the VGM format.  That's a whole 'nother can of worms I'll get around to one day, haha.

Also from the fami fourms, someone dropped this (http://famitracker.com/forum/attachment … c_play.zip) that a "JSR" created two years back that plays all windows of Fami already open.

Huzzah.

rochester, ny

why not try to open two and see if it works the way you want?