Abandoned on Fire

If I set "crush" to "1" on all my samples in a piggy project has it now become 1-bit music?  What are the differences between using a 1-bit sample in a typical tracker vs using a 1-bit specific tracker?

EDIT: After some further research and debate I've gone ahead and made what I claim is true 1 but sound (if not necessarily music) using LGPT on PSP.  Check out the recording and download the project folder if you dare: http://chipmusic.org/egr/music/1-bit-so … gy-tracker

Actually this is more accurately "voltage spike sound" than 1 bit sound.  When the audio circuit is turned off suddenly from a very high gain there is an audible click and that's what I'm actually manipulating.  However I firmly believe that this still qualifies as 1 bit.

Last edited by egr (Dec 31, 2012 4:36 am)

Puerto Rico

I THINK on 1-bit specific trackers all the channels get compressed, and for it to be true 1-bit you'd have to use only one channel in lgpt, along with what you said.

See:

(But I could be wrong)

Abandoned on Fire

Hmmm, I see your point.  Is it true that the audio output of a 1bit tracker is a sound file with bit depth 1?  That sounds obvious but the answer could easily be 'no'.

Edit:  Now that I think about it a little better, the answer has to be 'yes' since 1bit trackers are actually just toggling a beeper or dac between on and off.  You couldn't possibly get more than 1bit out of it.

Last edited by egr (Dec 28, 2012 7:20 pm)

Nomad's Land

well, the term 1bit music has no clear definition yet. however i'd say true 1bit can only be produced by outputting sound though a 1-bit dac. The main purpose of 1bit trackers isn't to output sound files, btw. The idea is to generate machine code, which in turn generates a bitstream.

also what Xuriik said is correct.

So this is a good opportunity to start a war between true and fake 1bit, huh? wink jk, I always enjoy some good 1bit sounds smile

Unsubscribe

So basically youd need to crush the master output of piggy playing 1-3 channels of stuff to be "1bit", to get that cool nasty voice stealing sound of a single dac being abused. Maybe run piggy through a overdrive pedal and sum mono?

why not just use a 1-bit tracker?  it's not like there's a lack of them.

Unsubscribe

cause there are no portable ones you can whip out of your pocket on the turlet.

Nomad's Land

that problem is being worked on wink

Abandoned on Fire
4mat wrote:

why not just use a 1-bit tracker?  it's not like there's a lack of them.

This is more of a theoretical question, as in "what would it take to 1bit piggy style".

On the other hand, why not just clap your hands and sing?

babylon
herr_prof wrote:

cause there are no portable ones you can whip out of your pocket on the turlet.

does pixitracker 1-bit count. its for ios and android. ive never used it though ive only tried the normal version ( which if i remember said it was 16 bit)

Abandoned on Fire

After some further research and debate I've gone ahead and made what I claim is true 1 but sound (if not necessarily music) using LGPT on PSP.  Check out the recording and download the project folder if you dare: http://chipmusic.org/egr/music/1-bit-so … gy-tracker