Cape Town, South Africa

But Im stuck trying to decide on a name... Any suggestions would be welcome smile

I was considering "DATAMARTYR". Thoughts?

what sort of chip music are you gearing towards with your label?

Gosford, Australia

if you have to ask the internet for a name for your netlabel then you're not exactly off to great start
let the music decide
fwiw i think you'd be forever in datathrash's shadow if you went with "datamatyr" even though it's a cool rhym-ey name

Last edited by Victory Road (Jan 3, 2013 8:46 am)

Tokyo, Japan

Moved, this isn't a release.

uhajdafdfdfa

datamartyr reminds me of automata which is nice because automatas are cool

but as a netlabel name i don't really like it. names with "data" in them are at risk of becoming the new names with "8-bit"/"kid"/"unicorn" in them (not including DATATHRASH and GOTO80 they have really made DATA their own / are O.G. Data Pioneers)

if you want it to sound like datathrash how about dadathrash instead (not really)

the name of your netlabel is less important than the music on your netlabel but it is still important because in 2012 no one listened to anything unless they already knew what it was going to sound like (myself included) and 2013 will probably be the same --- and aesthetic is part of that !

Chicago IL, USA
Victory Road wrote:

if you have to ask the internet for a name for your netlabel then you're not exactly off to great start

Cape Town, South Africa
SadPanda wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

Well, that may be true, but I just always like to ask around and brainstorm a bit.

Thank you for pointing out the DATATHRASH similarity (one which I hadn't noticed). I would never want to intrude, and will end up naming it something completely different.

Thank you to those of you who in this thread have posted constructive feedback. As a person who works in a creative industry (Im a film editor by trade) I just felt like my creative juices were expended after the year and was just looking to share some opinions and thoughts.

Sweeeeeeden

Imo, the market for netlabels is saturated, and the concept is perhaps a bit outdated. aybe 10 years ago, netlabels were this hot new thing. Nowadays there are too many netlabels already, and it's super easy to self release on Bandcamp for example. For example, as a telltale sign of the times we're in:
https://www.facebook.com/kittenrock/pos … 4559800052

If you're going to start a new netlabel, make sure you have a few good friends who can release filler albums, of good enough quality, if needed.

England

Think about what you really like.

I really like kittens and rocks, so it was a no brainer.

Nullsleep really likes 8bit and people, I think.

C-Jeff really likes Philip K. Dick and tunes, probably.

Ralp really likes things that are low, like water pressure, and toys, etc...

um, yeah, but yes, my post on the kittenrock facebook and what Nitro said.

Last edited by Jellica (Jan 3, 2013 1:10 pm)

Chicago, IL

of the top of my head

chiptic
sawtooth records
Wesley Bitcrusher
hatebit
output
def ram records
romstorm
8bitten
aetus machinarium
machines make music

feel free to steal big_smile

The only thing Netlabels do for me is put a bunch of music I like on a soundcloud page together...so thanks for that!

Last edited by BeatScribe (Jan 3, 2013 1:19 pm)

8 bit kingz gameboy LSDJ mario @ a rave-party RECORDZ

Chicago, IL
Holy Konni wrote:

8 bit kingz gameboy LSDJ mario @ a rave-party RECORDZ

that's the one right there...

California, United States

Betablips
WetChips
My 1st LSDJ Netlabel

Thats all I got.

IL, US

i was going to use bit rot records at one point, but never got around to it
consider that fair game

Tokyo, Japan

http://trash80.com/junkfood/8bitnamegenerator

/thread

Bristol, UK

Call it Tales From The Chip and exclusively release horror-themed chipstuffs.