Abandoned on Fire

Ditto nitro and jellica.  At this point a netlabel is no longer important as a service/distribution/website.  It's purely about being a well curated and publicized "brand".  The best thing you can do is be laser focused on what you really like and can honestly promote with enthusiasm.  And of course your "brand name" is pretty important.  Think hard about what image you're trying to build!

Also, don't worry to much about similarities to other names unless is really bugs you personally.  I totally snaked Kool Skull's "Datamoshpit" when "Datathrash" started up but it turned out good for both of us since we just combined forces!  smile

Bristol, UK

Think about what's going to make the label different from others. A site with individual tracks like dubstep.net drumnbass.net house.net etc would be cool.

Nottingham, UK
BeatScribe wrote:

Wesley Bitcrusher

Jersey City, NJ
Evil Scientist wrote:

Call it Tales From The Chip and exclusively release horror-themed chipstuffs.

I personally adore this idea.

babylon

i know theres a netlabel phonebook type thread somewhere here. maybe go through that thread and make sure your name is nothing similar to any of those so you dont look like your biting. thats what i would do. i think.

edit: found it
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/1748/netlabel-list/

Last edited by walter b. gentle (Jan 3, 2013 4:58 pm)

London, Ontario

will your netlabel do more than just host the albums? if not then i suggest you dont even bother starting one.

Chicago, IL
shotgun breakdown wrote:

will your netlabel do more than just host the albums? if not then i suggest you dont even bother starting one.

Agreed. Start a blog and review the myriad of chiptune releases. Something like that might be more useful...

Focus more on the substance and less on the style. Also, find your niche market. What acts are you bringing to the table that are unique? A label is only as strong as it's best band. For example datathrash has the chipthrash market cornered. Daptone promotes the best retro soul acts around. Load Records is the king of noise rock.  Focus on a sub-genre of chip that you feel is overlooked and promote musicians who are the best in that genre. That way, those who are into that particular type of chiptune will know that you're the guy to go to. Find a niche market that hasn't been explored yet. When you decide on a niche, choose your name accordingly.

Last edited by NationalBroadcastNetwork (Jan 3, 2013 9:35 pm)

Chicago, IL

More shoegaze chiptune!!!

BeatScribe wrote:

More shoegaze chiptune!!!

I would actually love if there were more bands like that. Also wouldn't mind a label that expanded a bit into strictly experimental hybrid chiptune.

Chicago, IL

The Depreciation Guild kind of flirted with shoegaze chiptune, but blending those two genres is still a vastly unexplored territory with tons of potential...

IL, US
NationalBroadcastNetwork wrote:

Load Records is the king of noise rock

hey, dont forget about skingraft or hydra head

shanghai

the world definately needs another netlabel

Brunswick, GA USA
egr wrote:

The best thing you can do is be laser focused on what you really like and can honestly promote with enthusiasm.  And of course your "brand name" is pretty important.  Think hard about what image you're trying to build!

If this phrase excites you or doesn't make you feel stiff in your gut, carry on. Otherwise...

downstate wrote:

the world definately needs another netlabel

...like an extra butthole.

Last edited by chunter (Jan 4, 2013 5:35 am)

Chicago, IL

maybe the key isnt a netlabel but something else that could help the community in some way.

I saw the blog suggestion which is not a bad idea. Maybe you could try a web radio show. Or something else that hasnt been done yet. There's plenty of things that could help artists/fans get on the same page that no one tried yet. Think about it!

México, DF.

Hey look, is this thread again.