Chicago

This is all great discussion.
I feel like, with releases, there's a sense among us something to the effect of what is the expected listener return back to the artist in comparison to effort put into the release.
As in to say, the difference in listener experience and response between an EP and a LP are too small to warrant the effort of a fully realized LP.
Am I wrong on that?

Last edited by theghostservant (Jan 10, 2013 6:08 pm)

NC in the US of America

For me, I'm usually more into the non-hits on an LP than the songs that get the most hype. I'm always like, "They should play THIS one on the radio all the time".

East Kilbride, Scotland

I think you could argue that for bands that have studio fees and make a living selling their music, the album is an extremely cost effective format. Releasing 3 EPs over 1 album means paying for CDs to be printed 3 times (unless you do a collection CD I suppose, but that's another debate).

I've never incurred studio fees, but I don't make a living from music (it's just a hobby), so I'm unlikely to ever really commit to releasing an album of my own. I'd be much more likely to stick a few filler tracks on there, and I just don't like wasting a listener's time, especially when they could be listening to The Mars Volta or some other awesome band.

Chicago IL
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

Actually that is the standard for being a release. Otherwise Dark Side of The Moon wouldn't be the same. Also "Heroes" from Bowie, even if its from over a period of time, he wrote the songs as they were meant to fit on the album.
Hell, actually most albums are made of these, unless we count Vanilla Ice album(s?).

Woah what year is it in Brazil

Florianópolis-SC, Brasil
Saskrotch wrote:
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

Actually that is the standard for being a release. Otherwise Dark Side of The Moon wouldn't be the same. Also "Heroes" from Bowie, even if its from over a period of time, he wrote the songs as they were meant to fit on the album.
Hell, actually most albums are made of these, unless we count Vanilla Ice album(s?).

I'm pretty sure it's 2013 ;/ But I get your point.

Brazil
vargero wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's 2013 ;/ But I get your point.

Vargero is wrong, man!
It's 1985 but actually i'm partying like it's 1999 (fucking prince joke)

IL, US

wait, its 1985 there, you know vanilla ice going to happen, and you havent stopped it? im disappointed in you, man

Brazil
e.s.c. wrote:

wait, its 1985 there, you know vanilla ice going to happen, and you havent stopped it? im disappointed in you, man

Yeah, that's because Ninja Turtles is a thing here and we loved Go Ninja, Go.

I'm a big fan of full length album releases. Full length albums feel like a complete package and not just a sampler. EP's are great for releasing music in between full length albums and releasing tracks that don't fit on an album, alternate takes, b-sides and remix's of tracks.

For my releases I always try and have at least 30 minutes of music on them or they just don't feel complete. My most recent chiptune album clocks in at 34 minutes. http://casval.bandcamp.com/album/the-to … -massacre/

Westfield, NJ

for the record I should mention that 2012 was a damn great year for full-length releases. especially all the epic albums on ubiktune. but also all those 4mat albums, the first full-lengths from BRIGHT PRIMATE(finally!), debuts by ABSRDST, Auxcide, AndaruGO (weird that they all start with A), and a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting.

Why does it matter?

Earth

Full length albums are hard to make.

Chicago
Decktonic wrote:

for the record I should mention that 2012 was a damn great year for full-length releases. especially all the epic albums on ubiktune. but also all those 4mat albums, the first full-lengths from BRIGHT PRIMATE(finally!), debuts by ABSRDST, Auxcide, AndaruGO (weird that they all start with A), and a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting.

very true, not saying it doesn't happen, just not as often as I'd expect.

Heosphoros wrote:

Why does it matter?

it doesn't, just curious

New Albany Indiana

my last release was 41 minutes long.

São Paulo, Brazil
Heosphoros wrote:

Why does it matter?

babylon
PULSELOOPER wrote:
Heosphoros wrote:

Why does it matter?

doesnt have to matter guys. this is a forum so you know . . . we discuss stuff here.