Savannah, Georgia

sunvox. that is all.

How did i learn music?

I LSDJ'd.

- The End.

babylon

i used to play a lot of dance dance revolution ( and i was pretty damn good before i started smoking) and i honestly believe this prepped me for music in a lot of ways. when i started mixing beatmatching came easy because of it. then when i turned to trying out production my mixing helped me already have an understanding of how music works. but with that said i would google some music theory sites and learn keyboard. i think most people can agree with that.

.FILTHadelphia
xylo wrote:

Started playing guitar when I was 13 years old. Started several bands which I did music for more instruments than just guitar.

Tracking got me in to more theory though, I just knew guitar chords and stuff by heart so wasn't really focused on notes. When I started tracking I suddenly had to buildup chords by putting notes together. One follows the other and that's it.

Learning piano/keyboard is a good way to start, you'll dive right in to notes and combining stuff.

Edited for how I learned music. Other than the age I started the guitar and the hip/hop ragga part this is basically my story.

Brunswick, GA USA

Piano lessons from age 7 or so, brass instruments starting with and focusing on trumpet through high school, a little vocal training in college, self-taught everything else.

(I think I answered that in the late 8bc.)

i woke up one day and decided i wanted to be a musician so i googled how to be a musician and watched a few youtube tutorials on how to be a musician and now i'm a musician, i would say my experiences have been LOL and cool

Chicago IL

having a general interest in writing music before you find out about chip usually helps

Chicago IL, USA

I sold my soul to satan.

Austin, Texas
wailord wrote:

i didn't

Maine

>HOW DID YOU LEARN MUSIC?

i ask myself this question every day

honestly i have no clue i think it just slowly came to me after playing guitar and piano for so long

Abandoned on Fire

I was in school band from 6th grade onward but none of that training/knowledge came into play until I'd spent a long time wrapping my head around samplers, midi, and later on trackers.

Finland

Played guitar a bit as teenager, listened all kinds of music religiously for tens of years. No formal training but I think I understand basics okay just by the experience of knowing more than 5 bands.

Nashville, Tennessee

i thought i had 'learned music' before, but it wasn't until i had lost myself completely in it that it truly began to make sense to me.

shanghai

learnt to play spinning plates with a youtube vid, then some sigur ros melodies, then realised i could just plonk down at my keyboard and make shit up

Gosford, Australia

started with saxophone and piano lessons, meanwhile imitating aphex twin & generic NRG in fruityloops
eventually i figured out how to write and produce shitty electropop music and then nature took its course!
(also a couple of years semi-formally learning audio production at a tech college along the way)

Last edited by Victory Road (Jan 16, 2013 5:25 am)

I have been taught music in an acedmic sense for so long that I think that where I am right now, it will make or break me as a composer. Too many years of being told how to play things, write things, and hear things. I feel bad for trying to push it on other people. I think that I am just now *really* finding my sound now that I am thinking beyond instruments, staff paper, and convention on a regular basis.