Tacoma, WA

10 years of lessons in classical piano.

The Hollow Earth

iano those are all excellent points!

Warwickshire, UK

I started off learning the violin when I was 6. Then when I got my C64 when I was about 10 (or 11) I fell in love with the sound and got a program called Electrosound which I used to write basic tunes, and it went on from there to Trackers on the Amiga, to MIDI on the Atari etc. etc. then round robin back to chip...

For me, I've just had music in my life from an early age...

UK, Leicester

I started play bass at 13, gave up quite quickly and moved onto piano. I got a keyboard for Christmas when I was 13/14 and only really messed around on it every so often, now it's right in front of me, I have to lean over it to type. I spend a lot of time listening to music and attempting to play music, so far I'm not to good at writing music and mostly I just play songs from games using midis. I suppose one of the things that inspired me to try music was that my dad played guitar which I always thought was really cool.

Fr

I didn't learn music :'(
Piano lessons seem to be a good start. I wish I had some classic piano years as a child. If only my parents had payed for music lessons instead of this f#ck!ng useless karate big_smile

Sweden

Karate can get you quite far in the music industry, actually.

Brunswick, GA USA

Karate lessons help when somebody tries to rob you after a gig.

Memphis, TN

I started with the clarinet in the fifth grade. then picked up just about everything else along the way. except for double reed instruments, the flute, piccolo, french horn and baritone sax.

Texas

You guys are rad. smile
I taught myself guitar when I was 11, then bass, then cello, then piano, then synth. I recently got into building guitar pedals and playing with Gameboy, Atari, and NES. I am currently the bassist, lead vocalist, keyboardist, and producer of a neo-psychedelia trio. big_smile

Chicago

this question presumes I know music
I have basic music theory from playing guitar

Pittsburgh

My entire family is PAINFULLY musical, and I've been surrounded by music since I was -8 months old. Took a bunch of music and chorus classes in school, too.

All in all though, I find that listening to a lot of music in the genre you're working with is the best way to learn.