southampton, uk

Southampton F.C.
I was even a mascot for them in 2005!

Marseille

yeah, order order, this is not a general sports thread, this is about football (the non handegg one)

matt's mind

the premier league will be won by Chelsea. 

my fav team is Blackburn.  Go Rovers.  I know, they aren't the greatest (or the worst), but they've been my team for years...

unless we are talking about ALL leagues...  then they are:

Blackburn
Bayern München (a close second is Werder Bremen)
Celtic
Chivas USA (west coast)
Toronto FC (east coast)
Galatasaray SK (i have a fondness for Turkish league soccer/football)
Juventus (although, in all honesty...  I like Udinese better, but Juventus is so much more consistent)

that sums it up.

*was* going to world cup in SA this year...  but plans fell through.  Had tickets reserved and everything, just no money for living quarters or anything else (i.e., food).  sad

Hull, UK
kitsch wrote:

the premier league will be won by Chelsea. 

my fav team is Blackburn.  Go Rovers.  I know, they aren't the greatest (or the worst), but they've been my team for years...

unless we are talking about ALL leagues...  then they are:

Blackburn
Bayern München (a close second is Werder Bremen)
Celtic
Chivas USA (west coast)
Toronto FC (east coast)
Galatasaray SK (i have a fondness for Turkish league soccer/football)
Juventus (although, in all honesty...  I like Udinese better, but Juventus is so much more consistent)

that sums it up.

*was* going to world cup in SA this year...  but plans fell through.  Had tickets reserved and everything, just no money for living quarters or anything else (i.e., food).  sad

our match with chelsea got called off because of all the snow we're having over here. and as such, hull city lose something like 65k.
they probably will win the league, though it's still early days.

Marseille

I like Besiktas. Their supporters are more sane, less extreme right.

so who will win the world cup? Brazil? Spain? Argentina?

Brunswick, GA USA

Now that I have a lot of site hits from Brazil and Argentina I have to be careful what I say about their football wink

I guess I'll just say that I have my opinions.  If the Confed Cup is any indication, USA will put up a strong showing, that's mostly what I'll be watching for.  Of course, nobody brings their "A" game to the Confederations Cup...

Brisbane, Australia, Earth
kitsch wrote:

the premier league will be won by Manchester United.

fix'd

Edmonton, Canada

MANCHESTER CITY

...*promptly walks out*

Sweeeeeeden

Brazil
lynit wrote:

MANCHESTER CITY

...*promptly walks out*

I was about to say that. My fav english team.

Marseille

OM playing atm. 1 - 0 . alleeeeeeez l'om

Blackpool, Englandshire
herr_prof wrote:

flopping

Yeah Flopping.  What?

akira^8GB wrote:

What I hate about fútbol, having grown here, is the obsession there is about it and the "culture" (or lack thereof) it generates. Not to mention the violence. When I was a kid we used to go every time River Plate played local to the games with my whole family. The violence starting around the nineties has removed the family-friendly atmosphere from fútbol and therefore fucked it up. I was a huge follower in my teen days, also checking out 1 or 2 european leagues. Then I got bored.

That's a real shame.  We really do seem to have sorted it out in England.  Not much thuggery seen nowadays, football has been reclaimed by families and in large going to games is a safe friendly way to spend an afternoon.  Of course the downside of that is the Prawn Sandwich brigade, the corparate non-entities in the sponsors lounge who don't even reappear after half time because they're too busy gorging themselves on free Champagne.  Arseholes.

For the record I support Blackpool, my hometown club.  We've been languishing in the lower leagues until recent years but now we're pushing for promotion to the Premiership, building a new stadium and playing fantastic football.  Good times!

I also watch Fleetwood Town now and then, they are in the Conference North!

Huddersfield, UK

I'm a Huddersfield Town supporter but I also follow Liverpool due to my father's random infatuation with them in the past...

Huddersfield are playing in what is effectively the third division at the moment but not doing too bad, we have an average attendance of over 13,000 and some quite promising young players coming through the ranks too. Only problem is that we have spent really quite a lot in relative terms to other teams in this division on transfers. If the reports are true, we will be heavily in debt if we don't achieve promotion. It looks a tough league too, the leaders and fiercest local rivals Leeds United beat Manchester United in the cup the other week and look odds on to win the league which isn't too good. I hope we can make the play-offs and get promoted from there, but I doubt it.

Chelsea will probably win the Premier League this year, I think they've looked solid going forward under Ancelotti recently and should be able to deal with the squad shortages from the African Cup of Nations adequately enough. Liverpool on the other hand look really bad at the moment and Rafa would probably be sacked under most club setups by now. Not quite sure why he hasn't gone yet, probably can't afford to terminate the contract of a man who has 4 and a half years left. With Gerrard, Torres and Yossi all ruled out by injury for weeks it doesn't look good on the field itself either, effectively the three players running the team are all out.

As for the World Cup I'd probably put my money on Spain who have some outstanding players in great form at the moment. Brazil and Holland will be close as well, possibly Germany if they are as well organised tactically as they usually are.

tl;dr - nerds can love football too

Last edited by J&HT (Jan 14, 2010 8:19 pm)

Brazil

Are you kidding? Spain? I think Portugal is a good team, but will be left behind by Côte d'Ivoire and Brazil.

I wouldn't put my coins on spain. Brazil is comming from thin wins - but only victories. Holland is always strong. I dunno about Italy too, but usually champions don't win twice in a roll (i just looked and Brazil and Italy did that).

To be honest, I bet Brazil will win this cup. Sorry.

Last edited by Subway Sonicbeat (Jan 14, 2010 9:07 pm)

Huddersfield, UK

Spain have had some excellent players on top form this season; Torres, Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta and Villa to name a few.

I think Brazil is just as fair a shout as mine, they easily outclassed England a few months back and showed that they have some great youth players coming through as always; Douglas Costa, Carlos Eduardo and Sandro I hope will make the final squad as they have excellent talent, that and I'm sick of seeing Liverpool flop Lucas somehow make the squad wink

Blackpool, Englandshire
J&HT wrote:

I think Brazil is just as fair a shout as mine, they easily outclassed England a few months back

Let's be fair, Brazil outplayed the England B team!  But they have to be favourites as always, it's just the rules!  Spain are a brilliant team, they finally won at tournament at Euro 08 and maybe the floodgates will open.  I think England have an outside chance but Kurt, Portugal?  They've had an amazing team over the last decade but they blew their chances.  They struggled to qualify and aren't they bottom seeds in their group?  Deutshland and the Argies can never be discounted either.