San Francisco

Hey guys. so here is the word. I am trying to build a super 486 PC to generate music on and maybe do a bit of gaming as I am working on maybe doing some game development. I am trying to think of all the sound chip/soundcard options to throw in this thing and what graphics

intel486 processor
Soundblaster 16 early model
CD Drive
3.5 floppy
5.25 floppy
PS2 mouse jack
Joystick port
Dos / windows 95
Parallel Printer Port For (Covox speech thing i am building)
SoundBlaster 16 (Already purchased an early model with the OPL3 not integrated into another chip)

Can you guys think of other stuff That might be legit?

uhajdafdfdfa

i think you listed two soundcards (the same one twice) and no graphics adapter!

United Kingdom

...CRT monitor smile and maybe a 3DFX Voodoo graphics card at a push, not sure on the age/model of your 486 (there were a few) and if you are looking at PCI or not. Cool project though. Recommend Fast Tracker, or Scream/Impulse for tunes.

Cheers,
LW.

San Francisco
ant1 wrote:

i think you listed two soundcards (the same one twice) and no graphics adapter!

lol looks like i did smile

yeah no idea about graphics cards thats why i got nothing. voodoo sounds good.

United Kingdom

This might help? If you have PCI... http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=27710

Cheers,
LW.

San Francisco
LamptonWorm wrote:

...CRT monitor smile and maybe a 3DFX Voodoo graphics card at a push, not sure on the age/model of your 486 (there were a few) and if you are looking at PCI or not. Cool project though. Recommend Fast Tracker, or Scream/Impulse for tunes.

Cheers,
LW.

Fast tracker Is my goto for sample based tracking smile
I am working with ISA mostly i think. I have a friend who will be helping me pick out the right mother board and all that I am mostly interested in add ons.

San Francisco
LamptonWorm wrote:

This might help? If you have PCI... http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=27710

Cheers,
LW.

That is really helpful actually smile

São Paulo, Brazil

I miss my DX-66... first PC I had.

São Paulo, Brazil

btw:

smile

uhajdafdfdfa

don't get a PCI soundcard they are a PITA for DOS

San Francisco

O shoot i didnt realize that link was just for pci!!!!

no worries ant1 I am ISA all the way for this.

Tokyo, Japan

I have a feeling o2star builds / sells DOS PCs might be a good person to check with?

Brunswick, GA USA

I learned FT2 on a 486 with an evergreen cpu. You didn't name a motherboard either. Two soundcards is actually okay if you don't try to use both at once and set them on different addresses. Look for a GUS.

Planet Zaxxon

this is sweet... you should get the 486DX4 chip.... I think the 486 is just too old for me, and stuff gets weird. ha. Im fine with P1 and it can run anything you desire from the 80s/early and mid 90s. easier to get parts/boards and whatnot for p1/p2/p3