Madison, Alabama
wedanced wrote:
roboctopus wrote:

Thanks for the info!  I have a Moog Phatty but I've been really interested in the Minibrute because I like knob-per-function more than I like patch storage.  Sounds like the Minibrute is capable of some interesting, non-moogy tones, which is attractive.

On a side note, did you guys hear Korg is remaking the MS-20? Supposedly a pretty much exact recreation, some of the original designers and engineers on board, except with mini keys and 1/8 jacks on the patch panel. And midi/USB midi. The idea of it gives me a synth-boner.  If it sounds good...

I sold a few bits of gear that I didn't use anymore to get the minibrute including my Roland Alpha Juno 2 with it's patch memory. I have to say. I dont miss the patch storage at all. I actually find that more and more of my gear doesn't have patch storage and I am totally ok with that.
Sometimes the fancier/convenient features of modern synths just get in the way of working with the thing. I generally end up not using the memory anyways. I just like to tweek, record, and tweek etc. etc. and have a constantly changing patch. It feels more organic and I dont have to think about technical workflows, menu screens, and assignments.

I did actually hear some rumors about a remake of the ms-20 being discussed during some namm 2013 discussions! I personally would love to see that happen. Especially since I feel that korg hasn't put out any seriously worthy synths in a long time. They focus too much on making things dumbed down for the general populace while making it harder for the more indepth user to get what they want. Korg really needs to just quit beating around the bush and put out a new serious analog product. How many more kaossilators, preset analog modeling, and gimmicky unfocused products can they make before people get bored and start looking for something better sounding and more useful? Its a shame since they made such strong synths like the ms-10 and 20, mono/poly, and the PolySix.

/korgrant

I get where you're coming from.  I bought the Phatty because I had a Moog Prodigy, which kept breaking down. I got tired of repair costs, sold it (For a profit, wooh vintage!) and bought a Phatty, thinking "new Moog".  But I find the loss of knob-per-function is less inspiring than not having patch memory.  I was totally okay starting from scratch all the time; it forced me to explore.  The Phatty sounds great, don't get me wrong, but I don't connect with it like I did that shitty Prodigy, haha.

As far as the Korg MS-20 remake, it's real!  They're announcing it a Namm.  It's going to have mini-keys, but all the circuitry should be the same (well, basically), so the same functionality, including badass external signal processing.  Supposedly going to sell for 600 euros, so maybe $800 US.  If it sounds decent, the external processing options alone will entice me to sell some stuff.  I don't care about patch storage, but Pitch-->CV, envelope follower, multimode filter, ring modulation, and a synth on top of it all?  Seems like a no-brainer.

Finland

So fucking pumped about MS-20 mini. I would love to have Minibrute too, so I'll check how things are next month, there could be bunch of used Minibrutes around..

Patch storage is for pussies!

Tacoma WA

Word on the patch storage.

MS-20 looks dope as hell.  The orginal was not volts per octave like modern modular stuff but hertz per octave and i guess the triggers on the orginal were funky to interface with other modular stuff.  no biggie though there are always workarounds.

there are also the new pittsburgh modular cases and modules.
http://pittsburghmodular.com/

Madison, Alabama

Yeah, those pittsburgh modulars.  Hnnggg.

San Francisco

(Nods with approval)

Madison, Alabama

Seriously.  $599 MS-20!  And they're not mini-keys!  *Looks around room at gear and calculates their value*

San Francisco

IL, US

ms20 mini, do want... its mini-keys for sure... but eh.. its a monosynth with midi, how much do you really need for the keys to be good?

Madison, Alabama

I read they're more like accordion keys--they're bigger keys than the microkorg.

And dat external signal processing...my guitar needs to be plugged into that thing.

Tacoma WA
e.s.c. wrote:

ms20 mini, do want... its mini-keys for sure... but eh.. its a monosynth with midi, how much do you really need for the keys to be good?

To be fair it's pretty limited midi.  This beast is made to be played and tweaked.

IL, US

haha yeah.. i saw thats its fixed to channel 1 even... i say tweak knobs by hand, notes by piggy->midi and im a happy guy

shanghai

im starting newms20.org before all you guys !

Long Beach, CA

I tried it at NAMM. Pretty beastly.

San Francisco
Terbografx wrote:

I tried it at NAMM. Pretty beastly.

i hate you.

Czech republic
wedanced wrote:

i hate you.

shanghai

ms20 mini looks pretty great. And i see Dave has shown of the Prophet '12. Jesus, thats a lovely synth. Time to sell a kidney or two i reckon.