Hi everyone,
i'm about to get back into chiptune and this time i'm planning on using real dmg's rather than emulators.
I'm just wondering what hardware people recommend on recording songs, I thought about a little 4-track recorder and now I'm looking at USB Audio interfaces. What would people recommend?
Could I link up a Gameboy(Pro Sound) to a multitrack recorder and then export it to my mac? If so which hardware seems good.

Nottingham, UK

A standard DAW (Garage band,logic, reaper ableton live ect.), a Y cable and a standard USB audio interface will be entirely fine for recording a gameboy. Pro-sound is nice, but really mate if you know basic soldering and can do it yourself, it's not worth it while you're just learning. While it does improve signal quality, it's real advantage is in situations where you're audio is going through really really long cables and shit. Not necessary for learning.

I use an alesis IO2 and Ableton live. You just plug it it, plug your gameboy into the Line In's, set up your tracks and hit record. I record each channel separately and then use ableton to mix them. But I know roboctopus just records all the channels simultaneously and does some mild EQing and that.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Jan 7, 2013 11:38 am)

ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

A standard DAW (Garage band,logic, reaper ableton live ect.), a Y cable and a standard USB audio interface will be entirely fine for recording a gameboy.

I use an alesis IO2 and Ableton live. You just plug it it, plug your gameboy into the Line In's, set up your tracks and hit record.

Sweet, thanks! I guess I'll be off buying a USB audio interface then.

Cryptix wrote:
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

A standard DAW (Garage band,logic, reaper ableton live ect.), a Y cable and a standard USB audio interface will be entirely fine for recording a gameboy.

I use an alesis IO2 and Ableton live. You just plug it it, plug your gameboy into the Line In's, set up your tracks and hit record.

Sweet, thanks! I guess I'll be off buying a USB audio interface then.

Yeah pretty much this.
I also just use a ProSound DMG with a cable that goes into some USB Interface which came with a Turntable Record Player to digitalize Vinyls. Works fine for me.

Czech Republic

I don't use any external device for this. just internal line input of my PC.
Anyway you don't need any soundcard that has more than ONE stereo Input (if you like to record to your PC to multitrack software and work with it here)
If you want to make mastering (equalization, using effects) in your external, standalone multitrack recorder (something like ZOOM...) and make final mix directly here, than export the final recording to your PC, that's the other way. I personally think more complicated .

ryba wrote:

I don't use any external device for this. just internal line input of my PC.
Anyway you don't need any soundcard that has more than ONE stereo Input (if you like to record to your PC to multitrack software and work with it here)
If you want to make mastering (equalization, using effects) in your external, standalone multitrack recorder (something like ZOOM...) and make final mix directly here, than export the final recording to your PC, that's the other way. I personally think more complicated .

My mac doesn't support line in, so I'd have to get a USB interface anyway. I will most likely hook it up with Logic to begin with.

Austin, TX

Since this is the latest thread about audio interface recommendations...

Does anyone have any other recs? I've been looking into getting a Focusrite Saffire 6 for the dual inputs (which'll help with syncing guitar + Genesis stuff) and the 5-pin MIDI I/O, which may be useful at some point, but now they're out of stock and pricier at Amazon. The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is looking like a more attractive buy, though it lacks the 5-pin MIDI I/O, and I'm unsure if the extra $50 for it on the Saffire 6 is worth it when I can buy a proper MIDI interface later on once I have more stable income. I'm a high school senior in an area where there aren't really any jobs so money's gonna be tight; are there any USB audio interfaces in this price range that are better? Or is that general range relatively bunk?

Czech Republic

I think low cost interfaces are nearly on the same level.
It just matter what you want to record. I think small interface with just RCA connectors and small mixer unit is great for stereo/dual input recordings as well as usb mixer unit or small saffire or M-audio. These more expensive interfaces have just great preamps (you can substitute this with small mixer like tapco or behringer, that you can use it on live gigs).
The only reason why to buy some more expensive interface with XLR inputs is to use it with Condenser microphone for a Phantom +48V (also this you can substitute with small mixer unit). (ok. maybee there are some differences in sound and latency caused by the native drivers and some comfort differences).
So, If you have money, buy it. Different things convenients different peope.
I'm using Saffire Pro 10I/O for bigger recordings of a band, Alesis Multimix 8 (I think Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0 could be great choice for more separate inputs) and i use direct line input of my PC a lot (cause I'm lazy to connect and disconnect things every time when needed...).

Austin, TX

I've got a mid-level Mackey mixer (not sure of the model) I'm borrowing from my school's A/V program for recording, so that should help with the preamps, right? I've got a separate Blue Snowball USB condenser mic I'm using for vocal recording, so I don't have much need for XLR. The audio interface is purely for Genesis/Mega Drive and guitar recording, routed through that Mackey mixer.

Thanks for the clarification, it's helped a lot! I think I'll stick with the Scarlett 2i2 since it's got the most positive reviews out of its general price range.

Czech Republic

Just my opinions.
Bye