Lexington, KY

I'm quite a hardware idiot, so I'm not always sure how to decipher the technical jargon that goes on in some of these threads but, is it possible to sync the tempos of two retro consoles or handhelds? Say, Gameboy to NES or maybe a sega genesis?

BK

Might be possible to sync an NES running lsdj and an NES running MIDINES if you have an arduinoboy. Genesis I'm not sure about though.

Chicago IL

you can sync anything by ear

babylon

im not sure how you would sync the tfc files for a sega. i know they have playback available on flashcarts like the everdrive but im not sure if that can be manipulated anyway.

but this is on the front page
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/9700/ … ck-needed/
if im understanding correctly (which im ususally not but maybe) then this project might open up a lot of cheap and feasible options.

Lexington, KY
Saskrotch wrote:

you can sync anything by ear

I was under the impression that this wasn't really an option because of possible 'hiccups' in timing on old hardware. I haven't experimented or experienced this first hand, but I think I had heard that before.

Chicago IL

there's ways around it. I always used B+up/down on the tempo on lsdj the way you bump or slightly hold a record when you're djing. Go up or down 10 bpm and then go back real quick.

England

ive found the game boy pretty solid when syncin stuff by ear.

the c64 is a bitch though as it has weird tempos like 125.31 or 150.37 BPM in PAL land.

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

i suppose you could have some issues with sample rates...  more-so the issue that arises with older hardware is that when the cpu has a heavy load they tend to lag which makes the music out of sync.  Ive had no issues syncing several copies of ds-10 with m01 without going into sync modes(where available).  Thats newer technology though.  Regardless, if you have a way to slave it to midi you have a way to sync it.

Lexington, KY

Can NES be slaved to MIDI? I'm guessing NSFs don't work that way.

England

maybe with the midines? i dont think famitracker or NTRQ support midi

England

oh no fami wiki says it has midi in and out

http://famitracker.com/wiki/index.php?t … figuration

Last edited by Jellica (Jan 11, 2013 12:33 pm)

Parts Unkown

Fami supports MIDI, but I dont think the NSF or PRG files it creates does.

Last edited by HeavyW8bit (Jan 11, 2013 6:10 pm)

So you are saying that one could sync Famitracker to LSDJ using the Nanoloop MIDI adapter? If so, I think we have a potent 2Player-esque sound format for minimal $$$ (NES + LSDJ).

Bay City, Michigan
thebitman wrote:

So you are saying that one could sync Famitracker to LSDJ using the Nanoloop MIDI adapter? If so, I think we have a potent 2Player-esque sound format for minimal $$$ (NES + LSDJ).

very interesting, totally gonna have to make this my next project.