Grimsby, UK

This is going to sound very stupid and very n00bish, because i am very much a n00b, and i do not understand this chiptune business, so please do not assail me with your mace-like words.
but yeah, i have a gameboy with lsdj and anything thats free, an ipod running nanoloop and sunvox, a laptop running anything thats free (primarily famitracker and lmms, but i might buy renoise as well), a microphone, and im considering buying a really cheap synth like a casio vl-1.
what things do i need to go in the middle?
i know i need a mixer, i was thinking  a behringer eurorack 1002 (because its cheap and looks okay)
i think i also need a midi-controller type thingy. to control the laptop, ipod and gameboy; synchronise them; make them go at the same time; maybe add effects or control them as synths?
i don't know.
thats why im here instead of spending dolla.
so, any recommendations?
i work to a tight budget because im 15, but i'll probably spend 2 years building my supplies up.

Talent and motivation are much more important than equipment. If you've got a gameboy and LSDJ, that's all you need. Go make some music. You'll organically collect more gear *if* you need it. I've been at it for 3 years and I don't have a mixer yet.

If you want to spend money and get gear, then go buy some, but I'll let you know now that it won't help you make better music off the start.

Last edited by Zef (Jan 29, 2013 10:24 pm)

Nottingham, UK

Start small..There's no point in being fully kitted out with a ridiculous rig if you don't really know how to use any of it. Learning to get the most out of LSDJ takes as much time as learning any instrument.

You're better of holding onto that money and making a sound investment in a piece of equipment you find yourself to be lacking later on when you've got some perspective on what your music is and where you want it to go.

UK, Leicester
rasta_dan wrote:

This is going to sound very stupid and very n00bish, because i am very much a n00b, and i do not understand this chiptune business, so please do not assail me with your mace-like words.
but yeah, i have a gameboy with lsdj and anything thats free, an ipod running nanoloop and sunvox, a laptop running anything thats free (primarily famitracker and lmms, but i might buy renoise as well), a microphone, and im considering buying a really cheap synth like a casio vl-1.
what things do i need to go in the middle?
i know i need a mixer, i was thinking  a behringer eurorack 1002 (because its cheap and looks okay)
i think i also need a midi-controller type thingy. to control the laptop, ipod and gameboy; synchronise them; make them go at the same time; maybe add effects or control them as synths?
i don't know.
thats why im here instead of spending dolla.
so, any recommendations?
i work to a tight budget because im 15, but i'll probably spend 2 years building my supplies up.

As someone in pretty much exactly the same situation as you (even the same age) I can tell you that you probably won't need a mixer any time soon, and if you do then you go and buy one. There's no point spending money on kit you aren't going to use when you could either save it or spend it on better things. As someone who has already spent 2ish years building up their supply, I don't even have half of what you do. I have famitracker on my laptop and I only ordered a flashcart for LSDJ last wednesday. Kinda building on what FaBE said here, but it's better to work out what kind of music you're making first, and what zef said, just because you have expensive kit doesn't mean your music is going to be good.

Last edited by Alpine (Jan 29, 2013 10:40 pm)

Andromeda's Black Hole

all i have is my GBP and LSDJ and I think I'm in good hands. don't go spending too much money on something you don't really know how to use. When I was doing pixel art, people always told me o do things in photoshop, but I decided to learn in MS paint instead and it worked out great for me. you don't need some fancy rig to make good music. a lot of good music is made only using one gameboy with a copy o LSDJ

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

these guys speak the truth. And this is coming from someone with lots of gear. tongue
But I'm not just an chipartist.

Seattle, WA US

drugs

rochester, ny

i would recommend trying to write some songs before you do anything else.

boaconstructor wrote:

drugs

you dont neeeeed em buuuuuuut

except when your 15!

Last edited by shitbird (Jan 30, 2013 4:31 am)

México, DF.
rasta_dan wrote:

i do not understand this chiptune business

First thing about chiptune business: there's no such thing as chiptune business.

Serbia,Belgrade

1st RULE: You do not talk about CHIPTUNE BUSINESS.
2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about CHIPTUNE BUSINESS
3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out the show is over.
4th RULE: Only two guys to a show.
5th RULE: One show at a time.
6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes.
7th RULE: Shows will go on as long as they have to.
8th RULE: If this is your first night at a CHITPTUNE SHOW, you HAVE to party hard.

who get's reference,gets a thumbs up

England

i know a few people that spunk out a lot of money on gear then never make any music. dont become one of those people. it makes me want to cry when i see all these unplayed instruments.

Lexington, KY

"Recommend* things to me."
FIX'T!
heart

Grimsby, UK

thanks kids. you people are too correct.
perhaps i should stop trying to collect musical things and start making music with them.

Seattle, WA US
shitbird wrote:

except when your 15!

I approve of this message