San Francisco

So I have a bit of time and money to focus on getting my home studio in order. I have been selling off all my cheap equipment and upgrading it all with higher quality stuff while working on recordings for a new project. Since I am trying to move to the more professional production value I found my old mixers weren't cutting it as they added too much hisssssss and background sounds. Truthfully I dont mind a little color in my mixes but when coupled with digital VSTs, the recorded sounds stuck out waaaay too much. A nice in-between would be ideal where I could have low levels of sound without becoming too sterile. The point of me recording from hardware is after all an attempt to stop my sounds from becoming too "fake," which I have been finding frustrating since switching back to working with DAWs.

Do you guys have any suggestions about what to buy? I have limited space so a 4 to 12 channel mixer would be good. analog is preferred (like how it clips better).  Both vintage and modern models are welcome. Saving money is always good too wink

$0 (lol) to $300 would be my price range.

Tokyo, Japan

Im not trying  to be a dick but there at TONS of threads with people looking for mixers already.

http://chipmusic.org/forums/search/876945211/

Basically buy a mackie 1202 vlz.

IL, US

yeah, thats your best bet in that range for sure... i heart my mackies

buffalo, NY
Lazerbeat wrote:

Basically buy a mackie 1202 vlz.

This

Ontario, Canada

If it's for a home studio, wouldn't you want a recording interface of some kind (assuming you're recording on your computer) instead of (again I'm assuming) what looks like a live mixer? You should be able to find a decent (at least) 2 channel usb or firewire interface for $100-$150 or so on craigslist.  Especially since you're probably recording not too many sources simultaneously (so many assumptions).

San Francisco
J. Arthur Keenes wrote:

If it's for a home studio, wouldn't you want a recording interface of some kind (assuming you're recording on your computer) instead of (again I'm assuming) what looks like a live mixer? You should be able to find a decent (at least) 2 channel usb or firewire interface for $100-$150 or so on craigslist.  Especially since you're probably recording not too many sources simultaneously (so many assumptions).

all taken care of in that regard but good advice smile