Los Angeles, CA

My band DARK WARRIORS' debut EP "Cosmic Waveforms" is finally available for FREE DOWNLOAD. Simon Andrews did an amazing job recording live instruments and Josiah Tobin, who mastered my Telstar Arcade EP (where a lot of these songs are originally from) once again helped us make this release sound fucking beautiful.

There is no project I have ever been part of that I am more proud of than DARK WARRIORS. Simon took my fairly straight forward pop / dance chiptunes and turned them into epic chip rock masterpieces from outer space. This is easily the best sounding release that my name is attached to in any way. Download it now: http://darkwarriors.bandcamp.com/

Abandoned on Fire

Oh shit!  My day is made!  heart

Seattle, WA US

I'm not even trying to be a dick here.. but could this be ripping off IAYD even a teeny tiny bit more before people started asking you if this was a chiprock tribute to Supergalactic???

Seattle, WA US

Like EVERY SINGLE LSDJ instrument is a direct emulation... there are a few melodies where it sounds like 1-2 notes were changed from memorable IAYD ones...

I won't even hate on how the music sounds.. I love IAYD's music and like when drums and guitars are layered under LSDJ, so this consequentially sounds pretty good to me

Maybe you guys could go for a little more in the originality department

Trento, Italy

maybe I remember it incorrectly but these songs were composed before supergalactic went out.

Los Angeles, CA

These songs were all composed between 2008-2010. I loved IAYD at the time but only Dirty Electricity and his random one off singles from 8bp. Never cared for the other two EPs, nothing against the guy, just wasn't my thing.

The chiptune only versions of these tracks have been available on the internet for at least three years, have been widely downloaded and this is the first that I've ever been accused of ripping off IAYD.

The only thing I've ever intentionally tried to emulate of his was the distorted wav channel bass, back in 2008, when he was just a dude with a couple songs on MySpace.* The melodies, I can't think of a single melody that sounds like anything on Supergalactic. To be fair, I listened to that album maybe once. I know that part of the melody in Telstar is copied from Kraftwerk's "The Robots", just sped up and changed a bit. Oh, and 8 Bit Raceway was a 2008 "tribute" to Random.

If you're going to accuse me of stealing from someone, I kindly ask for examples, otherwise kindly shut yer trap.

*For the record, by "tried to emulate", I mean that I wrote him a message and asked "hey man, killer distorted wav sound you got there, how do you do it", and he wrote me back and told me. Because that's how people did things in 2008.

Last edited by Wizwars (Jan 31, 2013 6:54 pm)

Seattle, WA US

Don't think one time I used the words "stealing" or "steal" or "stole" or "stolen" but if you wanna put words in my mouth that's up to you. There's a difference between putting your name on somebody else's work and writing your music so it sounds just like somebody else's work.. not sure which one is more shameful.

I think you're getting awfully defensive for somebody who has done nothing wrong.. and I'm almost certain that I've seen you be accused of jocking on IAYD's style in the past.

If you want specific examples, I could probably find the time to compare your melodies, instruments, and progressions to ones IAYD has used.. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you wouldn't want me to do that though hmm

Los Angeles, CA

No, please do! I'm actually quite curious. I have nothing to hide and I'm not afraid of the possibility that music I wrote between three and five years ago might sound like another artist. I also wouldn't say that I'm being overly defensive, just stating my position.

Also, you said "ripping off". It means the same thing as stealing.

Abandoned on Fire

@boa - that would be illuminating, lets see it (or are u jus trollin brah)

if you want to really squeeze those iayd sounds out of your gameboy your going to have to use a prosound DMG instead of a gameboy color.

Los Angeles, CA

These songs were all composed and recorded with a DMG. Pro-sound, even.

Seattle, WA US

hahaha okay after work this can of worms will be opened up

Seattle, WA US
turtlesaur wrote:

if you want to really squeeze those iayd sounds out of your gameboy your going to have to use a prosound DMG instead of a gameboy color.

FUCKING LOL

Chicago IL
boaconstructor wrote:

I think you're getting awfully defensive for somebody who has done nothing wrong..

That's what happens when someone spends two posts saying you ripped someone else off in two consecutive posts. You were basically begging him to be defensive.

Also everyone should take note: if you do anything with the wav channel that isn't a dubstep bass instrument you're ripping off IAYD

Seattle, WA US

LOL valid point is valid skrotchy

Don't think you can simplify it quite that much.. maybe give it a listen and I imagine you'll hear what I'm so outlandishly making crude accusations of

rochester, ny
boaconstructor wrote:

Don't think one time I used the words "stealing" or "steal" or "stole" or "stolen" but if you wanna put words in my mouth that's up to you. There's a difference between putting your name on somebody else's work and writing your music so it sounds just like somebody else's work.. not sure which one is more shameful.

I think you're getting awfully defensive for somebody who has done nothing wrong.. and I'm almost certain that I've seen you be accused of jocking on IAYD's style in the past.

If you want specific examples, I could probably find the time to compare your melodies, instruments, and progressions to ones IAYD has used.. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you wouldn't want me to do that though hmm

you're really not coming off well in this exchange dude.