rochester, ny
boaconstructor wrote:
nickmaynard wrote:

you're really not coming off well in this exchange dude.

never been a large concern of mine

i can tell.

Unsubscribe

UP TOP!

Seattle, WA US

*high five*

Unsubscribe

/me pulls hand away at the last second.

Seattle, WA US

/saw it coming so not that bummed

alright so this is like my first post in two years. obvs i've been pretty disconnected from the scene, but after being sent threads like this i'm sure you can see why i've shyed away from it.

anyway kevin and i talked last night and there's no hard feelings. obviously i hear similarities in our sound design, but at the same time though i have a much different relationship with my own music and sound just like i'm sure many of you do with yours. i've been listening to the wiz for years and i know he's been listening to my stuff too. yeah he's asked me about instruments, but that was years ago (and if i remember correctly, around the time when these songs were originally released)
the instrument similarities aren't what really get me too much, because honestly there's only so many sounds you can squeeze out of LSDj, and we all know that everyone will end up using someone's instruments at some point strictly because of the limitations of the program. octaved tables, wave duties, whatever. like josh said, a nice sounding instrument is, well, a nice sounding instrument. to me it's mostly the structure and progressions in some of the tracks that i found similar but not identical. mind you, not in anything from my 8bp releases but maybe to some one-off singles i put out when 8bc was still around and myspace was relevant. kevin and i came to a mutual understanding about it.

and honestly this release sounds like what 15-16 year old angsty me would have made if i had a band to back my old gameboy tracks. but that's the reason why i like it. seriously, props to kevin & the whoever did his guitar processing.

Unsubscribe

Troll validation.

Los Angeles, CA
IAYD wrote:

yeah he's asked me about instruments, but that was years ago (and if i remember correctly, around the time when these songs were originally released)

This is pretty incorrect, actually, and I'm not trying to start shit but since it makes me look bad, I feel the need to clarify. I asked about one instrument, in 2008, after the first time I heard "Galaxy Smasher", around the same time when I was originally booked to play at Bible Belt Bitfest in Fort Worth with you, before I had to drop off. I had been using LSDJ for about five months after switching from Famitracker and Modplug (which I'd been using for a couple years), and I asked how you came up with the distorted bass sound because I did not yet really understand how to make good sounds with the WAV channel.

I also later asked how you were able to make such a strong WAV kick after hearing you and a handful of other artists using a similar kick, but you didn't share that secret with me, and I later figured it out on my own. For the record, every kick drum on this album is a pulse kick. I've never asked about leads, or tables, or anything like that. I figured those things out on my own.

Other than the distorted bass, I never set out to emulate any of your sounds. As I said yesterday, I'm not a master at LSDJ. I'm proficient at it, but there are limits to my skills and abilities, and it makes perfect sense to me that my tables and instruments are probably going to fall into the realm of ground previously explored by other artists.

And regarding structure and progressions, any similarity is purely coincidental and unintentional. And when you have two people making music that is hard, fast, and has distortion in LSDJ, there is going to probably be some overlap in terms of sound design.

I'm glad that a thread about a release that was years in the making and I was pretty stoked about has pretty much turned into a big pile of shit.

England

doesnt all chip music sound the same?

can i turn this in to a stealing pissing contest?

i stole sound ideas from david sugar after meeting him in 2006 in switzerland and sharing ideas on game boy sound creation.

Last edited by Jellica (Feb 1, 2013 7:37 pm)

Savannah, Georgia

calmdownkidders. save it for timbaland and disney.

Westfield, NJ

all y'all sound alike

Westfield, NJ

back on topic though, this is probably the coolest sounding release i've ever heard in chipmusic. i'm literally talking about the production and dynamics and panning and mixing of the gameboy and guitar. i don't know how you guys managed to pull it off but this is probably the holy grail that any chip thrash recording should be aiming for. it's sick.

Last edited by Decktonic (Feb 1, 2013 8:12 pm)

Madriz, Supain

I like the guitars in this and the atmosphere. Also, its like owfully well recorded and produced, wich is always a plus big_smile

I couldnt care less about people calling rip offs for using similar instruments. ¿Can you imagine in rock music people at fests yelling HEY, I USE THE SAME DISTORTION PEDAL. AND MY GUITAR HAS 6 STRINGS TOO? No. You cant.

Seattle, WA US
Wizwars wrote:

I'm glad that a thread about a release that was years in the making and I was pretty stoked about has pretty much turned into a big pile of shit.

Hey man! If it makes you feel any better you can feel free to shit on my debut EP's release thread once that comes out smile Been in the works for 2 years.. but unlike this they're actual original songs, not remakes.. so that should be even more offensive and you can go back to feeling good about yourself!

It doesn't sound exactly like IAYD with guitars+drums underneath it though.. in fact it doesn't sound like any LSDJ release I've ever heard hmm but I'm sure you'll be able to find SOMEBODY to say I'm ripping off smile

Abandoned on Fire

I wish this thread had gone better.  The songs rock and deserve more attention.

Chicago IL

everyone is drowning in a kiddie pool of diarrhea