Murcia, Spain

Hi guys.

I've just been in my local electronics shop and bought what I believed was a stereo minijack:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56714160/Stereo.jpg
In my experience, this one is stereo, because I already made a project using one of these and only soldered one pin, resulting in the thing making sound only through one of my speakers.
The lady there said that they have this minijack labeled as "mono", which I honestly doubt is correct, because three pins should mean "right", "left" and "ground". When I said that to her she said that it probably is "signal", "shield" and "ground", and that stereo jacks should have 4 pins instead of 3.

So I come to you because she made me think wether I'm right or wrong, and before screwing anything I'd better ask. Sorry if it's a silly question, but I just wanna make sure who's dumb, the woman in my local electronics shop or me xD

Apart from that I also took the smallest switch they had, with the idea of using it for a half-clock mod. I read somewhere in here about someone putting it in place of the AC port of the DMG, and using the hole that's already there. I tried to make it fit there with a kitsch's green case I have and it looks like it doesn't because of the cartridge compartment (with the PCB inside it looks even harder). Am I doing it wrong or is this just impossible?
If it's not possible to put it in there, what's the best place in the case to put the switch?

Thank you in advance, and again sorry for all these novice questions.

Last edited by DogTag (Feb 7, 2013 11:16 am)

Bristol, UK

Looks stereo to me.

I find the best place for half clock switch is at the top, like the same place as power switch but on the opposite side.

It could be a mono with a switch.

Like the headphone connector is a stereo with a switch.

Usually stereo have 3 pins, that's right. But most of the time they are in a row. This one has a pin on the side wich is a bit weird.

It could also be shield indeed.

So. The lady might well be correct wink

Fargo

It looks like the stereo jacks I've used.

Murcia, Spain
Krubbz wrote:

It looks like the stereo jacks I've used.

That's why I was convinced it's stereo! The clear DMG I traded with you had one exact except for being black.

IL, US

this should have been posted in "nintendo handhelds"

Murcia, Spain
e.s.c. wrote:

this should have been posted in "nintendo handhelds"

I didn't because the first question was rather general.

reject of nintendoage
DogTag wrote:

she said that it probably is "signal", "shield" and "ground", and that stereo jacks should have 4 pins instead of 3.

that configuration would be called balanced mono, but is of no use here.
actually, an unbalanced stereo jack is the same as a balanced mono jack, just the wiring is different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_conn … 28audio%29

just look at the (stereo) plug you want to use, then look inside the jack you have. Whant you need is one connection inside the jack for each of the plug's three metal sections.

you're welcome.

Murcia, Spain

I'm still lost. I can't figure out what's connecting to what by looking inside the mini jack.
If I already used one of these, connecting only the left (horizontal) to ground and the right one to the signal, with the result of the thing sounding only through one of my stereo speakers, could we presume that if I connected anything to the middle connection it would sound on the other speaker?

reject of nintendoage

i presume we could presume that.

pro tip: insert the plug while looking inside to understand what's going on.

warning: in case left and right are reversed, i'm afraid you'll have to figure it out yourself big_smile

Murcia, Spain
shizcake wrote:

i presume we could presume that.

pro tip: insert the plug while looking inside to understand what's going on.

warning: in case left and right are reversed, i'm afraid you'll have to figure it out yourself big_smile

Pro tip: I tried that, but either I'm blind or it's just not visible xD

Well that's ok, I don't care if something goes through right or left, just make sure the stereo is working.
Thank you!

I'd later try to put a signal in with something and see what happens.

Last edited by DogTag (Feb 7, 2013 5:43 pm)