I have recently bought a Rasberry Pi, and was wondering whether it would be possible to run LSDJ through a emulator while using the DMG as a speaker to replicate the authentic sound?

(219) Indiana, USA

It doesn't have the dmg sound chip in it so it wouldn't be exact but you'll probably get pretty close with an emulator in terms of sound.

Nottingham, UK

What you're asking doesn't actually make any sense.

You could run a Linux GB emulator on a Pi and run LSDJ on that. But you can't use a real gameboy as "a speaker". The sound of a gameboy is produced in the hardware itself, not in some filtering the hardware provides. Even if you were to cut out the speaker from inside a gameboy and wire it up in such a way that the Pi's sound went through it, all you'd have is the sound of a Pi going through a shitty speaker. I've never known  a serious gameboy musician to use the inbuilt speaker anyway.

Either just get an EMS cart and run it on a gameboy or just run it on an emulator.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Feb 1, 2013 4:51 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

There's no reason why you can't experiment with different size piezos and speakers for tone, but authenticity shouldn't be the reason.

Unsubscribe

run piggytracker on it with square wave samples. Even better!

shanghai

i wouldnt play music through a dmg speaker....... i did that and trust me -  it will upset your neigh-bours with all the bass.

Last edited by Downstate (Feb 1, 2013 5:34 pm)

Florianópolis-SC, Brasil
herr_prof wrote:

run piggytracker on it with square wave samples. Even better!

Word

Playboy Man-Baby
MegaZombieStomp wrote:

I have recently bought a Rasberry Pi, and was wondering whether it would be possible to run LSDJ through a emulator while using the DMG as a speaker to replicate the authentic sound?

Speaker ≠ sound chip

@MegaZombieStomp Linux has been ported to the Raspberry Pi and you may be able to run Linux based emulator on it.

No idea if the Pi is quick enough or not, but you can try it.

Tokyo, Japan

Do you mean kind of like a gameboy version of a hardsid? Maybe arduinoboy?

Chicago IL

So wait is your idea to hold a microphone up to the speaker when you record

babylon

op hasnt been back to thread in over a week. probably just worded his question wrong. at least i hope so.

brighton, uk

synthesis is synonymous through any digital application- I don't get this thread.