Chicago IL, USA
Bit wish wrote:

kibbi might be a female.

who?

babylon
nitro2k1 wrote:

The reason why this thread exists is because is because female artists are assumed to be underappreciated and/or in a minority. It's also possible that it passed some people by that certain artists are female. I was surprised by some of the names as I've only heard their music but never reflected on which sex they might be. And I think (or at least hope) that people are posting names of artists that they actually enjoy listening to, not just because they're female. Listing all male chip artists would just be listing most artists overall, which is pretty pointless. I shouldn't even have to explain this. Boaconstructor's thread was just reactionary.

i understand what your saying it just doesnt  jive with me that well. would we react the same way to a thread for gay chip artists, or if someone started an african chip artist thread. i guees its alright to be cuirous about those kind of things, but cm made a 6 page long thread listing all these female artists that may or may not want to be associated with being female before just being a dope musician and thats my main qualm with it. and to top it all off the op that was orginally curious has a cm.o history of her four post within this thread and was probably just wanting some attention and got it in what i find a rather cliche way. i made a post before that was mostly sarcastic in nature and when i saw boa's thread i just switched it out with a link to it cause i felt it made the same point.

Earth

What always amuses me is that threads about female chip artists are dominated by men. It just doesn't work out well.

Sweeeeeeden
walter b. gentle wrote:
nitro2k1 wrote:

The reason why this thread exists is because is because female artists are assumed to be underappreciated and/or in a minority. It's also possible that it passed some people by that certain artists are female. I was surprised by some of the names as I've only heard their music but never reflected on which sex they might be. And I think (or at least hope) that people are posting names of artists that they actually enjoy listening to, not just because they're female. Listing all male chip artists would just be listing most artists overall, which is pretty pointless. I shouldn't even have to explain this. Boaconstructor's thread was just reactionary.

i understand what your saying it just doesnt  jive with me that well. would we react the same way to a thread for gay chip artists, or if someone started an african chip artist thread. i guees its alright to be cuirous about those kind of things, but cm made a 6 page long thread listing all these female artists that may or may not want to be associated with being female before just being a dope musician and thats my main qualm with it. and to top it all off the op that was orginally curious has a cm.o history of her four post within this thread and was probably just wanting some attention and got it in what i find a rather cliche way. i made a post before that was mostly sarcastic in nature and when i saw boa's thread i just switched it out with a link to it cause i felt it made the same point.

First off, why do you feel the need to "correct" my nick name? There's a quote link below every post that gives you a quote tag with everything ready to go. And also, your keyboard most likely has a shift key. Use it.

Anyway. I think that's what it is. Curiosity. We as humans like to know something about the people around us. I think what you're saying about a tghread listing gay artists is the same thing as "that may or may not want to be associated with being female..." That is, stigma and prejudice. That's why people stay in proverbial closets. The gay closet, but on the internet often also the girl closet. People are afraid that other people will look down on them for being [attribute x]. In a world without the need for closets, this wouldn't be a concern.
I don't know which way a list like this affects things, but as long as it's genuine curiosity and in a positive spirit, I don't necessarily see the problem.

babylon

i used the quote button. accidentally deleted the first bracket and i apparently  left out the digit when replacing. sorry. and i wrote my post from a tablet. it has no shift key.
but uuhhh , im sorry for coming off more offensive then intended, the rest of your post makes sense though for the most part. i guess my mindset is just that if were trying to do away with prejudice then why are we segregating all the females and giving them a thread? its not the end of the world, but i dont understand why i should care.  i knew a girl that used to dj whos fairly attractive that would go out of her way to dress down and and be as little feminine a possible because she wanted to be a dj and not a girl dj. i think a lot of my views come from here position. but anywho sorry again. didnt mean to make you mad or anything.

Sweeeeeeden
walter b. gentle wrote:

i wrote my post from a tablet. it has no shift key.

About that... There should probably be a mode button that let's you cycle through various modes, of which one is to capitalize the first letter in each sentence. Probably a button that says abc. Make it say Abc and you should be good to go.

Los Angeles, CA

I have the biggest titties in the chiptune scene and I am also fond of penises some of the time. I am, however, all man.

babylon
nitro2k01 wrote:
walter b. gentle wrote:

i wrote my post from a tablet. it has no shift key.

About that... There should probably be a mode button that let's you cycle through various modes, of which one is to capitalize the first letter in each sentence. Probably a button that says abc. Make it say Abc and you should be good to go.

lol, it didnt occur to me you were referring to my absence of caps at first. yeah i dont use those regardless of what i post from.

Nottingham, UK

I'm not sure why it's apparently controversial for a girl to want to find other girls in a community that is quite clearly male dominated.
The fact that the mods had to delete a bunch of sexist comments early in the thread is a pretty decent indicator of why some girls might want to find other girls. It's not asking for special treatment or anything, it was just a question to help find other female chip musicians.

It's easy to just go "Who cares, I just want to know if they're a good artist or not" and think you're being smart, when in fact you're missing out a lot of issues and over simplifying. Walter b. gentle said something about a girl DJ dressing down to appear like less of a "girl DJ" and more of a "DJ", but that assumes you can't be a DJ and a girl, or that normal DJ's must dress masculine. You don't hear about male DJ's dressing less masculine to appear more like a "normal DJ"

babylon
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

I'm not sure why it's apparently controversial for a girl to want to find other girls in a community that is quite clearly male dominated.
The fact that the mods had to delete a bunch of sexist comments early in the thread is a pretty decent indicator of why some girls might want to find other girls. It's not asking for special treatment or anything, it was just a question to help find other female chip musicians.

It's easy to just go "Who cares, I just want to know if they're a good artist or not" and think you're being smart, when in fact you're missing out a lot of issues and over simplifying. Walter b. gentle said something about a girl DJ dressing down to appear like less of a "girl DJ" and more of a "DJ", but that assumes you can't be a DJ and a girl, or that normal DJ's must dress masculine. You don't hear about male DJ's dressing less masculine to appear more like a "normal DJ"

the dj comment is just a personal story. not everyone should act that way that was just her way of handling a scene where people were more concerned with how she looked then how she was mixing.
as far as girls finding other girls. thats fine. my problem is with how she did it. the op hasnt been back to this thread for a long time. so its no longer a bunch of dudes helping a girl out, its a bunch of dudes naming off female chip artist they know like they were trading cards. some appear to be even guessing if said artist are girls. i know nobody has any bad intent behind it, it just gives me the heebie geebies for some reason.

nitro2k01 wrote:
walter b. gentle wrote:

First off, why do you feel the need to "correct" my nick name? There's a quote link below every post that gives you a quote tag with everything ready to go. And also, your keyboard most likely has a shift key. Use it.

Anyway. I think that's what it is. Curiosity. We as humans like to know something about the people around us. I think what you're saying about a tghread listing gay artists is the same thing as "that may or may not want to be associated with being female..." That is, stigma and prejudice. That's why people stay in proverbial closets. The gay closet, but on the internet often also the girl closet. People are afraid that other people will look down on them for being [attribute x]. In a world without the need for closets, this wouldn't be a concern.
I don't know which way a list like this affects things, but as long as it's genuine curiosity and in a positive spirit, I don't necessarily see the problem.

Flavor me fancy, but you really put the pants in panting!

New Albany Indiana
SadPanda wrote:
Bit wish wrote:

kibbi might be a female.

who?

Kubbi*

Chicago IL

hey you know who else liked to keep lists and cataloged a certain type of person?

HITLER

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
Bit wish wrote:
SadPanda wrote:

who?

Kubbi*

lmfao.
kubbi is a dude, d00d.

New Albany Indiana
Saskrotch wrote:

hey you know who else liked to keep lists and cataloged a certain type of person?

HITLER

Truly a role model to list keepers. :'')

Playboy Man-Baby

Aaaand we've reached the Hitler jokes. Can this thread just fucking cease nao pls kthnxbai