rochester, ny

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OIJaQhVoMZg

Not chip music related but I still wanted to see what people thought of this. There's a lot of electronic music producers and I thought this could provoke an interesting discussion.

Nottingham, UK

Big fan of the postal service. They were quite ahead of their time with Give Up, and they've always coloured my own approach to electronic music. Now that Give Up has had 10 years to percolate through peoples subconscious and owl city so successfully ripped them off a few years ago, we'll see how people react.

Brunswick, GA USA

Sounds the same as it did 10 years ago, which is simultaneously good and bad. I'll lean it towards good because although there is a lot more electronic in indie, there still aren't enough people ripping off this sound.

Also, I've always found it ironic that UPS were using "Such Great Heights" (and not, you know, the actual postal service...)

Last edited by chunter (Feb 12, 2013 3:08 pm)

shanghai

Big fan also. I was dead excited, here's what i wrote on youtube after i heard it and listened a few times :

"bit of an anti-climax. sounds suspiciously like a track that didnt make the album cut to me haha Still a good track, but its not the 'new PS tune' excitement i'd been dreaming of if im honest."

and today ? well i guess my opinion is the same. I dont know if its that its too predictable ? But then if it was really different i'd complain it wasn't PS enough.........i guess my head and my tastes are in a different place than they where say 5 yrs ago when i still listened to Give Up regularly. But regardless, im not saying its a bad song........i think im just depressed that i dont feel it like i wanted to haha....im gonna just go listen to the perfection that is 'This place is a prison' and be done with it.

Last edited by Downstate (Feb 12, 2013 3:13 pm)

Like Downstate said, sounds like a B side to an old album.  I don't hate it though.

Who ever "directed" that video (not much to direct there) needs to learn a little bit about continuity.  They should have made the record needle and arm move fluidly across the records as if they were really playing instead of bouncing back and forth within the 20 second range.

Brunswick, GA USA
nerdsome wrote:

They should have made the record needle and arm move fluidly across the records as if they were really playing instead of bouncing back and forth within the 20 second range.

"It seems so out of context..."

Earth

I think it's different enough to make me happy. Also it's just one track, I'll bet they're tooling with it.

If it wasn't the postal service, like just someone around here, it would be GREAT. I just try to think about it like its something new.

Last edited by breakphase (Feb 12, 2013 3:56 pm)

ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

Big fan of the postal service. They were quite ahead of their time with Give Up, and they've always coloured my own approach to electronic music. Now that Give Up has had 10 years to percolate through peoples subconscious and owl city so successfully ripped them off a few years ago, we'll see how people react.

First time I heard an owl city song I thought: damn, postal service got really lazy.

Nottingham, UK
Timbob wrote:
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

First time I heard an owl city song I thought: damn, postal service got really lazy.

I remember at the time there were a lot of myspace musicians trying to rip them off (there was one called "Life Coach" who did a great song called reject rebound. Even ripped off the logo) But I was really surprised how long it took a band like owl city to trip them off and get popular.

rochester, ny

subpop posted online saying that this song was started in 2006 and finished in 2012.

i guess 3 minutes is always going to be slightly dissapointing after 10 yearsof waiting for a new album.

Last edited by nickmaynard (Feb 12, 2013 5:25 pm)

London, UK

I quite like this. Got a Bizarre Love Triangle thing going on which is always nice.

Seeing them in London in May...

Brunswick, GA USA

Will Ben subject his voice to too much autotune?

BK

Ben just tweeted that there will "never" be a new Postal Service album. And I think after 10 years, that's just fine. Trying to live up to the hype would ultimately result in failure, I think. I'm happy to just remember them fondly as they used to be. (And maybe see them live if I can get tickets).
That being said, the "new" song isn't half bad.

East Kilbride, Scotland

It's better that he won't make a new album, because Death Cab have really been sucking lately. You Are A Tourist was a slap in the face of their back catalogue.

Brunswick, GA USA

Instead of holding breath there is Passion Pit or Yeasayer

boring boring song