Manchester, NH

I have been away from all of my chipmusic instruments for the last 8 months. I have had a lot to deal with at home that I will not make public. I do, however, have a favor to ask of anyone who is willing. I need some kind of motivation from an outside source to get back into my music. My girlfriend might like me to get back into it since she liked my last 2 songs that I lost 2 months ago due to forgetting to back them up (stupid, stupid, stupid).
Where I live, there is almost no venue to perform, and there seems to be even less chiptune fans. Usually, if someone finds out I even listen to chiptune, I get called a fag. I don't know why, but people always go there.
I'm ranting again...
I'll just outright say it. I need help. I have a severe motivation problem that has been plaguing me since childhood, and I really don't want this to be another thing I leave behind. Some motivation, tips for Casio, LSDJ/DMG, and iPod/iPhone Nanoloop, or just constant nagging for a new song would be great. There are covers I got permission to do over a year ago that I really need to get started on, too.

Just to be clear here, I don't want to do this for money. I just want to have fun with it, and give something back to a musical community that gave me something when I desperately needed it. Spam my email with requests or nagging, please.

Manchester, NH

my email is [email protected]

Abandoned on Fire

Are you sure you want to be an artist?  Is composing or creating sounds such a drag that you just don't want to do it?  Wanting to BE an artist and putting in the work to BECOME an artist are two very different things.

If you actually want to produce art then you have to DO IT.  A little something everyday even if it's crap.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

Finding someone to work with on an ongoing project helps.  Then you can bug each other to stop whining and just work.  smile

New York
egr wrote:

Are you sure you want to be an artist?  Is composing or creating sounds such a drag that you just don't want to do it?  Wanting to BE an artist and putting in the work to BECOME an artist are two very different things.

If you actually want to produce art then you have to DO IT.  A little something everyday even if it's crap.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

Finding someone to work with on an ongoing project helps.  Then you can bug each other to stop whining and just work.  smile

^this

Music is not supposed to be a chore. Get pumped. Get inspired. Have fun!

Manchester, NH

You guys are right.
I am a visual artist. I paint and do photography. Most of my art is quite gratifying to me. I don't know if I want to be a musician or a sound designer or just add another dimension to my artwork. I'm going to take it slow this time. I'm going to start playing the Casio LK-55 and PT-80, and take baby steps.

Thanks guys, for telling me what I already knew but needed to hear (read) from somebody else.

Earth

Yeah I think maybe the pressure you put on yourself may get in the way of actually writing the music. I think you need to have fun with the process, as Parallells says. Step through it... pick up the gameboy, start a new chain, put down a note.. what happens next? Where does the motivation go?

Earth

Derp you already answered.

Being "nagged" to be a musician is definitely like high school band drama.  That shouldn't have to happen if you actually enjoy writing.  I don't care if people like my shit.  My wife listens to (and loves) my music and that's all that matters.  I actually don't even upload my music anywhere anymore.  Had a bunch on 8bc.org (never got plays though) and a few on noisechannel.org but honestly, I do music for me, not for others.  It's great when others upload their work (I love listening to everyone's styles) but I'm not going to nag them to write.  They need to do it cause they enjoy it. YOU need to do it for you.

Tokyo, Japan

Could the op clarify the post title so it is descriptive please?

babylon
Lazerbeat wrote:

lol

"Requesting people to motivate me to write music."

but on topic, you cant ask people to provide motivation for you. i dont think it works like that. but if you would like a random stranger from the internet to tell you to buck up and write some music, then let me be the first to tell you to buck the fuck up and write some music.

United States

just do whatever you want when you feel like doing it and never do anything people ask you to do unless you want to it.

it works 100% of the time and you will be happy.

Brunswick, GA USA
Lazerbeat wrote:

42. If I remember correctly.

I agree with all the advice given btw.

ad-hell-aide

From my experience, motivation must come from within, and cannot be forced.

Find the fire again.

buffalo, NY

Well, you're dramatic enough to call yourself an artist...

ad-hell-aide

Artiste