Hey all!

I just finished soldering a 1/4" audio out to my Sid2sid and it works!
Now I'm thinking of making an audio out directly from the C64, at the 5 pin DIN output.

The thing is, will my video out still work if I do this?
Or will I destroy the whole thing and end up with a C64 with audio only?

Thanks in advance!

Sweeeeeeden

Look at the pinout. All of the five pins in the DIN5 part of the connector are already taken. These are the first five pins when counting the pin numbers. As a sidenote, this is why the DIN pin numbering seems "weird". Pins 1-3 are the pins present in DIN3, which is three pins placed at 90 degree angles. Then pins 4 and 5 between those, with 45 degree spacing. And finally DIN8 which adds three more pins, while keeping the existing pin numbering the same.

Anyway, even if there's no free pin you can use immediately, you could cut the PCB trace going to the luminance connection and route a wire around the board to connect to that solder point. Assuming you use composite for video and not component. However, that would require a custom cable that would only work with your C64. In the end, it might not be worth it. If you're not afraid of drilling in the case, you could just as well add RCA or 1/4" jacks which are more standard and might serve you better in the future.

So if i understand correctly...

I should follow the trace from audio out to the pcb and solder it there? And also follow the ground and solder that on the pcb aswell?
And also, I will not lose my video connection from the video out (the DIN)?

If this is so then I'm going to put a 1/4" in it. I don't mind drilling in my case (:

Chicago IL

Couldn't you also figure out where each pin from that connects on the actual board and solder audio to that? I added a headphone jack to my SMS, which uses that same 5 pin AV out set up.

That's what I'm going to do.
I just want to know if I will still be able to hook it up to my tv

Chicago IL

I mean, the video out on my SMS works, there are some sort of... I don't know how to explain it. The video is a little strange, but also works fine. I have no idea how to describe it now that I think of it. BUT it's a japanese system, which might effect it somehow, and also it's on an old TV / VCR combo that might have its own problems. Tomorrow I'll hook it up to another TV and see if it's still wonky, I just don't feel like lugging the voltage converter around at 5AM.

Also this is all for an SMS so I can't really say it'll be the same for a C64. But as long as you're not doing anything to the video pin on the board, I dunno why video wouldn't work.

If Nitro can verify my tv out won't break on a c64 I'm putting the 1/4" in haha

Sweeeeeeden

If you put in a 1/4" you wouldn't even be touching anything that has to do with the video. tongue

Awesome, thanks!