UK, Leicester

So I tried to install a backlight (LEDx3) but I think I've cocked it up when it came to removing the film from the screen. I did search around a few threads before I made this to see if I could find a solution. I tried removing the film from the back of the screen, but it separated into two parts, the plasticy bit and the silver shiney bit, but the latter came of a little at the edge. Problem is that apparently they shouldn't separated, but then when I look at it, the silvery bit is the green/brown bit that the game is shown on, and I'm not sure if the plasticy bit is actually complete, and I've damaged something, or started to remove something that I shouldn't. Basically I don't know what I'm doing and I think I've fucked up badly and if anyone could help me or something, that would be cool.

Murcia, Spain

In theory, both layers have to be removed. As you say, when I first tried, both layers didn't come magically together, as you can see in most videos... Try to peel the the silvery and then get them together again... But you're gonna sweat, I tell you xD

Chicago IL

The silver foil layer is attached to the thin plastic one. The easiest way is to remove them both by getting a razor blade under the plastic one. The foil layer reflects the pixels, the backlight basically replaces that with light.

UK, Leicester
DogTag wrote:

In theory, both layers have to be removed. As you say, when I first tried, both layers didn't come magically together, as you can see in most videos... Try to peel the the silvery and then get them together again... But you're gonna sweat, I tell you xD

Saskrotch wrote:

The silver foil layer is attached to the thin plastic one. The easiest way is to remove them both by getting a razor blade under the plastic one. The foil layer reflects the pixels, the backlight basically replaces that with light.

Oh, so I haven't messed up badly, I just didn't peel it all in one piece, and I just need to peel the other thing? Oh thank fuck, I thought I'd messed up big time. Don't I feel silly?

Chicago IL

Yeah, I mean it's basically Foil then that thin layer of plastic, then the super thick glass (i think) that displays the pixels. With the backlight you only need the glass to display the pixels. Basically the reflective surface works as a solar backlight, adding a backlight removes that need.