TSSBAY01

totally understandable. i think a 'top 4 songs' would be a great idea, perhaps even below the song, make icons to link to peoples soundcloud, bandcamp, and also maybe a few various icons for stuff like myspace pages, or band/blog webpage. keep it not too cluttered, maybe top 3 places to find the artist's music.

United Kingdom

Is there a way to delete your current tracks uploaded?

As I remembered ages ago that option was not available, unless I'm just stupid with this site.

Lexington, KY

I'm for it. I only need 3 - 5 songs up anyway, and usually if people want to check out the rest of my work, they'll do it at soundcloud.

Tokyo, Japan

Also like the idea. The music section seems to be a lot of work and cost where people dont seem to use it all that much. Ditching it all together and making a cmo group or something seems totally fine to me.

The alternative of limiting songs per users is also totally fine. Anything which increases quality control it good.

Chicago

The only people that change would hurt are those that use cmo exclusively to store and share their music
if that's the case for them, then lol
Implementing this idea is a great way to make the uploads legitimately relevant

n00bstar wrote:

How about... each user has a limited number of song/disk space/whatever, but when a song is really popular/good/amazing/godlike/omgtits then it gets integrated into a 'public' library

If something like this were done in a cool presentable way, like cm.o best of compilations, perhaps curated by the 'staff', i think it would be really cool. Or at least has potential.

I have tons of songs here that I would have to get rid of, and I'm still all for it if it keeps the site running. Plus I like that it encourages artists to upload all killer no filler.

Earth

Yeah this is fine. I guess the music section is more about talking about music and seeing what others are currently working on. I would love to experiment with soundcloud integration, just so storage isn't a concern. But would you keep the reg comments AND have soundcloud comments? That's weird.. I would hide the soundcloud interface, and suck out the sweet mp3 within, if that's even possible.

Tacoma WA

make it to showcase music.  you can have 5 songs up and they after they hit 6 months they're deleted.

when you're at 5 songs whenever you upload the oldest is deleted.

something like that.

Madriz, Supain

I updated a total of zero songs here so Im completely ok, but anyways.

Gosford, Australia
SAMWAVE wrote:

Is there a way to delete your current tracks uploaded?

As I remembered ages ago that option was not available, unless I'm just stupid with this site.

open song page -> "edit submission" link under song description -> "remove item" button at the bottom right under text box smile

trash80 wrote:

This is a open discussion and we welcome your opinion.

A open discussion

Tokyo, Japan

I'm curious what the database stats are. How many members have uploaded, average songs per user, how many song for users who haven't logged in in over 6 months and stuff like that.

Currently the music section doesn't really seem to work that well as a showcase because there is such a huge volume of content, I personally tend to listen to albums / eps from net labels I like as they have already gone through at least one quality / curation / whatevet filter. The consensus seems to be nobody wants a chart / automated ranking system based on likes / comments / plays per week or month. Also nobody seems to want to step up and curate a periodic selection. I think a forced quality control on the users by limiting the number of songs will go some way to solve the volume problem but it is still a pretty large chunk of tunes.

Ideally I would like to see an automated weekly top 5 based on something like the 8bc filter trash 80 wrote for the "top" 5 songs then a curated weekly list of 5 more "hidden gems" displayed at the top of the page with the wb player for back end. If "drama" is a concern then we could lock comments on those "top" tracks for the week following or something.

Edit : sorry another idea, top of the page could be. : Top5, hidden gems, all 3 tracks from the "artist of the week" that would be 13 tracks at the top of the page all curated or selected by different criteria, a nice little cross section of what the site has to offer content wise.

Earth
Lazerbeat wrote:

I'm curious what the database stats are. How many members have uploaded, average songs per user, how many song for users who haven't logged in in over 6 months and stuff like that.

Currently the music section doesn't really seem to work that well as a showcase because there is such a huge volume of content, I personally tend to listen to albums / eps from net labels I like as they have already gone through at least one quality / curation / whatevet filter. The consensus seems to be nobody wants a chart / automated ranking system based on likes / comments / plays per week or month. Also nobody seems to want to step up and curate a periodic selection. I think a forced quality control on the users by limiting the number of songs will go some way to solve the volume problem but it is still a pretty large chunk of tunes.

Ideally I would like to see an automated weekly top 5 based on something like the 8bc filter trash 80 wrote for the "top" 5 songs then a curated weekly list of 5 more "hidden gems" displayed at the top of the page with the wb player for back end. If "drama" is a concern then we could lock comments on those "top" tracks for the week following or something.

Edit : sorry another idea, top of the page could be. : Top5, hidden gems, all 3 tracks from the "artist of the week" that would be 13 tracks at the top of the page all curated or selected by different criteria, a nice little cross section of what the site has to offer content wise.

What if the top 5 curated artists each choose a track for the next week? On top of and automated "most liked" thing. If one doesn't pick a song one week, then it will be given to the most popular automated artists, descending from the top of the list.

So we start with 5 people to curate 5 tracks. Then those 5 artists curate for the next week. And fall back on the automated list if needed.

Or something.

Tokyo, Japan

that seems a bit overly complex. You need to get 5 people per week choose a track per deadline and you need to find 5 more people for the following week. would be nice if people were up for it though.

Melbourne, Australia
breakphase wrote:
Lazerbeat wrote:

What if the top 5 curated artists each choose a track for the next week? On top of and automated "most liked" thing. If one doesn't pick a song one week, then it will be given to the most popular automated artists, descending from the top of the list.

So we start with 5 people to curate 5 tracks. Then those 5 artists curate for the next week. And fall back on the automated list if needed.

Or something.

That's a system just begging for a circlejerk. Just saying.

I personally like the idea of limiting tracks to 5 (Although I don't really use the music section anyway). Fact of the matter is that there are a lot of free services for hosting your tracks and barely anyone goes and listens through the back catalogues of artists on cm.o. At least, I don't know anyone who does. Bandcamp/soundcloud seems to be the way to go for that kind of thing.