Baltimore, MD

Long post:

For the people interested in the streaming remote visuals with remote audio, I ran a test a week ago using multiple computers and Skype cameras.  My goal was to run a live show with little to no additional cost or overhead than what an average gamer may already own.

Please note that I ran this test from a single location using wired and wireless computers. I did this for two reasons. First, I wanted to put as much stress on my home connection as possible in a live environment before involving others. Second, although I had several musicians lined up to help me test the remote from longer distances, the initial set-up process took longer than planned. I did not want to waste the musician's time until I worked out the first round of kinks.

Let's get started.

Ultimately you need a fast enough rig and connection if you want to streaming in HD. SD is more forgiving. No rocket science here. I used a Q6600 Quad 2.4 with 8G ram and a 25up/50down fios connection (hardwired) for the signal distribution. I used my show Macbook Pro (wireless) for Skype and audio  and a third PC laptop (wireless) for live signal monitoring embedded at my website.

Plan on the visualist to be the person to handle the distribution of the final signal. This is due to signal sync and delay from the musician. If the promoter has the ability to control the time sync delay from both the musician and the visualist, let the promoter handle the show and final output.

Visualist will need:

Dual monitors - The more real estate you have the better. You can run the show on monitor 1 and switching and previews on monitor 2.

Video show software  - I used XSplit and OBS (Open Broadcasting Software). Although OBS is free and uses less resources, I find XSplit to be slightly more versatile to a video geek. OBS is free. Xsplit demo is free but only has 4 scenes. Both will work. Both will allow you to perform a chroma key and record to hard drive while live streaming.

Visual software - I used screen captures of Livid Cell DNA with preloads and a screen capture of GlitchNES on an emulator. Turn off all other software. I do not recommend playing Minecraft with a massive TNT explosion or your show may lock up. If Minecraft or other gameplay is in your show as visuals, close other games and visual software, like Livid Cell DNA. If you are going with multiple sources of video, I found turning on and off programs during musician's intermissions to work for me. I had Skype stuttering issues with HD game play. I blame it on my slow PC. A faster PC will help offset this.

Audio - Mumble/Vent/TS from TypeFrag. I like using a VOIP for a steady audio feed. Your viewers will favor a breakdown in video over audio every time. If Skype or Ustream breaks down before getting to the visualist, at least the TypeFrag signal will keep the show rolling. You can get a 5 man VOIP server from TypeFrag for $2/month.  It can double as your team gaming VOIP if you are into that.  I find in gaming, Mumble has less lag. I like TypeFrag because they are a solid, affordable company with impeccable customer service. You can switch between Mumble, Vent and TS at any time at no cost with TypeFrag. You could always bring the VOIP from an additional computer, through a Mackie mixer and into your show computer rig for another layer of control.

Mic/Chat - Run the show during intermission.

Webcam and green screen - Logitech 920 Webcam. Why? Because visualist are an important part of the show too. I won't go into setting up a green screen here. It is not necessary but makes for a better show.

Show graphics - Build some custom artwork for your show. Include a logo slide, a show schedule, and a show slide for each musician playing. You may want a technical difficulty, stay tuned slide as well. Having show slides sized to the final video output gives your show a more professional touch. If your output is 720P, size your graphics to this resolution.

Delivery network - Twitch.Tv.  I prefer Twitch over Ustream. Twitch works well with XSplit and OMB. Twitch allows you to test their multiple list of servers for the best connection speed. You can stream in HD. They has a nice chat and built in gamer community. Twitch is free.

Musician will need:

Computers - I recommend using two computers if you can afford it. One for performing and one for sending the audio and video signal to the visualist.

Audio - Mumble/Vent/TS installed.

Webcam delivery - I tested with Skype and Ustream.  Not crazy about Skype, that's for sure but I like it better than Ustream. Damn watermark will need to be cropped out or a bug (show logo) placed over it.  Ustream has commercials on non-pro streams.  Going with the highest quality of output for the best key. The key is to get a steady, signal to the visualist.  Did not perform the Google+ Hangout option yet. 

Green screen - So you can have your pretty mug keyed with the visuals. It is not necessary but makes for a better show.

There you have it. I plan to perform more tests with live remote musicians to stress the my network further. I hope this helps anyone looking to produce or perform remote audio with remote visuals live on a low-fi budget.

IL, US

already done this a few times myself, most recently for the cyberthrash web gig last year..... though mysetups have been more complicated

Baltimore, MD

That great that others are doing this. I was hoping I wasn't the only one.

Hope to catch one of your future streams.

Cincinnati Ohio

thanks for telling us about your experiments!  theres some really good information in here.  im sure ill be coming back to this as a case study big_smile 

just a bit of personal experience to throw in, G+ Hangouts turned out to be less than ideal for me because of auto ducking software that is built into the hangout interface.  there may be a way to turn it off, but i run into unstable sound levels and spikes in volume when ive used G+ Hangouts to try and stream.