Texas

Just synthcart? Or are mods recommended? And could an amp be used?

Well, lets start with asking: what kind of Atari are you planning on using?

Texas

2600 is what I'm thinking would be nice to start on.

Tokyo, Japan

clarified title

Philadelphia, PA

2600 isn't really fun to work with if you like other synths.  Most notes are detuned and there really isn't a full scale of any key.

If you can get past that fact, it's really fun to work with.

ad-hell-aide

I love Atari 2600! big_smile

Synthcart / Paul Slocum's compiled tracker sequencer thing / Loop cart / cTrix tracker / and my MIDI interface once it comes out are all possibilities!

Texas

Thanks for the info guys! The only synths I have are a microKORG XL and a Gameboy Pocket running Nanoloop, so I'm obviously not too familiar with the timbre of a 2600, but I'm super into pitch bends, so detuned notes shouldn't be a problem. smile
And @little-scale, is the interface for using the 2600 as a controller, or using a controller for the 2600? yikes

Sydney, NSW
little-scale wrote:

... and my MIDI interface once it comes out

Dude, have you been rifling through my drawers? You've released a MIDI kit for almost every console I own. :V

ad-hell-aide
float.bridges wrote:

Thanks for the info guys! The only synths I have are a microKORG XL and a Gameboy Pocket running Nanoloop, so I'm obviously not too familiar with the timbre of a 2600, but I'm super into pitch bends, so detuned notes shouldn't be a problem. smile
And @little-scale, is the interface for using the 2600 as a controller, or using a controller for the 2600? yikes

Like, MIDI --> Atari 2600 with full control over all sounds and frequencies with sample playback.

ad-hell-aide
Chainsaw Police wrote:
little-scale wrote:

... and my MIDI interface once it comes out

Dude, have you been rifling through my drawers? You've released a MIDI kit for almost every console I own. :V

:>

Texas
little-scale wrote:

Like, MIDI --> Atari 2600 with full control over all sounds and frequencies with sample playback.

That sounds so rad! big_smile

Just ordered a 2600, Synthcart, and touchpad, by the way. smile

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
float.bridges wrote:

Just ordered a 2600, Synthcart, and touchpad, by the way. smile

Just a heads up, you'll need two keypads. Also, Highly Liquid used to produce a midi to joy port controller, they have open sourced the code, if your DIY inclined or you could get it from AtariAge store still.
At some point you may want to look into tapping the audio at the TIA chip for a cleaner output, there are how-to all over.Then there are video mods but if your primary goal is sound its not that high a priority. Controlling the Synthcart doesn't really need video once you get the controls down.
The beat tracks on the Synthcart are allot of fun; best of luck!

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

So Little Scale, wile we're on the subject, you got any time line for the a2600 interface. Know you got your hands full at the moment, but if its near term I got'a start saving my pennies! wink

Abandoned on Fire
yogi wrote:

So Little Scale, wile we're on the subject, you got any time line for the a2600 interface. Know you got your hands full at the moment, but if its near term I got'a start saving my pennies! wink

Yeah, I'm very interested in a 2600 interface and for once it actually IS a nostalgia thing.  Atari is what I played all through my childhood (as in before my teens) and it still seems awesome and magical or something.  :')

Non-gushy part of the post:  I don't really know anything about the different models of Atari consoles.  Will this be a 2600-specific tool or will it work with 5200, 7800, etc?

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
egr wrote:

Yeah, I'm very interested in a 2600 interface and for once it actually IS a nostalgia thing.  Atari is what I played all through my childhood (as in before my teens) and it still seems awesome and magical or something.  :')

Yea! I hear you there. The a2600 is like your first girlfriend, she had buck teeth and pony tails, but ....
Don't want to speak for Little Scale, but check this out
http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2008/1 … rface.html
Sweet bit of Seb's magic smile

Texas

Thanks yogi. I'll likely do the RCA mod or the stereo mod at some point soon, too. While I'm still figuring it all out. I'll play some Donkey Kong until I get the mod started.