I could see this being useful in the music section. Maybe not just a blanket ignore, but a "see more of/see less of/ignore this users songs" function. If someone creates music consistently in a style that you're not really interested in, it could be a good way for users to filter things out according to their tastes.

I don't really see this being useful in the forum. If you're sick of a particular users posts, you can just ignore them on your own. You don't really need the internet to do it for you. If you look at the main page, the vast majority of posts here actually seems like a good ratio of useful info/releases rather than opinion posts.

Last edited by NationalBroadcastNetwork (Mar 1, 2013 7:11 pm)

Montreal, Canada
herr_prof wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

the vibe being needlessly dismissive sometimes!

No it isn't.

that made me chuckle quite a bit

New Albany Indiana

@bitwish - That's* called gallows humor. its unbecoming.

Gallows humor: " It arises from stressful, traumatic, or life-threatening situations, often in circumstances such that death is perceived as impending and unavoidable"

Your right, i fell like my life is in a life threatening situation.

Ever since people started not liking my opinions ive had this felling some one was watching me in my sleep, i even heard some one talking in my ear when i was dreaming. I'm afraid some one will murder me.

On an other note, it also means "Gallows humor is typically made by or about the victim of such a situation, but not the perpetrator of it."

I see where your coming from, ill make a mental note  for further references.

Chicago IL

It's maudlin, not gallows.

Liverpool, UK
herr_prof wrote:

Its ok for a place you like to become shit, there are always other places to hang out.

What is the alternative to cm.o?

Gosford, Australia
calmdownkidder wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

Its ok for a place you like to become shit, there are always other places to hang out.

www.noisechan.org

:>

Unsubscribe

yea, or outside.

California

Actually it's http://www.noisechannel.org/

also http://ucollective.org/ is another alternative.

Earth

Well I guess it's a personal choice mostly. Killfiles and such. One benefit is that nobody can complain about annoying topics or authors. If you don't want to see topics about gameboy modding, just parse them out. Whatever tho..

Chicago
VCMG wrote:

Actually it's http://www.noisechannel.org/

also http://ucollective.org/ is another alternative.

another other alternative: http://www.neopets.com/

MICROMUSIC.NET PEOPLE

and yes i think the ignore function is a good idea!

calmdownkidder wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

Isn't chiptune dead yet?

Sweden
herr_prof wrote:

Learning to live with people you dont like is an important social skill.

On the other hand, the only reason it's an important social skill is that you can't easily ignore people you dislike or find uninteresting in most situations, which doesn't really apply to websites. Whether it should be a feature of the site or a simple client-side script is another matter of course.

Similarly, I have to deal with a lot of junk mail in real life. I either throw it out or it piles up. Some mail is important and require my attention, so it's definitely useful to get into the habit of sifting through your mail throwing the junk away on a daily basis, but that doesn't mean I have to apply the same strategy to my email inbox where this task can easily be automated.

If there are members of the forum you find write consistently useless and uninteresting messages, I don't see any reason not to ignore them if the medium allows doing so without imposing on the experience of other users. I think that "finding another bar" is a much less constructive way of dealing with it.

Unsubscribe

A forum isnt a a website because it is an semi-unmoderated public activity, the same way a town hall meeting isn't the floor of parliament. Thats why the level of discourse is way better on a moderated site like say chipflip then it is on here or was on 8bc.

Also, unk mail isn't a conversation, and while it is easy to ignore a thread started by an jerk poster, it isn't practical or desirable to engage in a public forum where you are watching people get up on a soapbox and start talking and no sound comes out of their mouth. If you started blocking posters and then blocked people started responding to them, that is going to get annoying pretty quickly.

Im guessing what I'm saying is that the forum would be better served if people reported posters who are breaking the rules, and moderators did their job and gave people temp/perm time outs, and people just ignored worthless posters and preposterous thread thesises instead of having a bunch of redacted threads.

I can get on board on a RETIRE THREAD feature though. I just hate it when a troll poster gets a thread punted to the graveyard and there is no repercussions for the people who get it put there, so id rather see a less passive aggressive approach to dealing with assholes.

Los Angeles, CA
herr_prof wrote:

Im guessing what I'm saying is that the forum would be better served if people reported posters who are breaking the rules, and moderators did their job and gave people temp/perm time outs, and people just ignored worthless posters and preposterous thread thesises instead of having a bunch of redacted threads.

I can get on board on a RETIRE THREAD feature though. I just hate it when a troll poster gets a thread punted to the graveyard and there is no repercussions for the people who get it put there, so id rather see a less passive aggressive approach to dealing with assholes.

I have nothing against anyone on the staff here, in fact as far as I know they're all great people, but I will say that if they weren't afraid to occasionally use heavy handed moderation tactics when necessary, there would be a lot less bullshit on this forum.

I used to moderate a few decently sized forums back in the early 2000s and while it's nice to be a community where the staff is more laid back and friendly, eventually that turns into people walking all over you and being fucking assholes on your forum. I've never seen an instance where this didn't happen as forums grow.

It's easy to say "oh, don't feed the trolls, etc etc" but that shit is driving people away. It seems like every time I mention something bad related to this site to any chip artist friends, the response is "yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah, that's why I don't post there very much / anymore". That sucks, this place used to be awesome and a great place to discuss things. Rather than work on a ignore function, the staff might want to consider adding a couple of moderators who aren't afraid to be a dick when the situation calls for it.

Tokyo, Japan

If you feel there are users, threads or posts that need to be dealt with, totally report them. Pretty much anything which gets reported gets dealt with.