Melbourne, Australia

Just changed out my backlight, put it all back together and now the DMG's speaker has a constant hum/buzz. Not noticeable while playing music or when using headphones. Probably a rookie mistake, if anyone has a clue on what went wrong, I'd appreciate it.

Maine

it happens to everyone im pretty sure. it should go away once you pro sound mod it

Melbourne, Australia

But I'd already installed a backlight a while back without any buzzing noises appearing....

KC

same thing happened to me with my super clean red play it loud.

haven't been able to figure it out, changed the caps and everything and still buzz.

sucks alot

Murcia, Spain

I have that in my 3 DMGs. I guess it's something inevitable.

Last edited by DogTag (Mar 3, 2013 2:37 pm)

Melbourne, Australia

Interesting, so it's fairly wide-spread then. I mean, it's not a huge problem or anything, providing you have a prosound DMG somewhere for recording, but I was just curious.

Riverside, CA

Do you actually need the speaker?
I always just rip mine out.

Murcia, Spain

I guess the LEDs on the backlight affect the speaker output in some way. I can't remember if the same thing happens in the stock line-out, but I think so.

Melbourne, Australia

Well that's the thing, Silph - we don't really need the crappy speaker so it doesn't matter all that much, which is good.
And DogTag, the backlight I had in there originally was fine, no buzz, then I replaced it with another one, didn't like the colour, so put the original one back in there - then the buzz started. Maybe the DMG didn't like the second backlight.

You can cut the noise in half by adding a large cap across 5V and GND right at the power regulator pcb.  Usually 470uf does the trick.  It completely removes the noise on the CGB.

Melbourne, Australia

Oh nice, thanks for that DSC.
I've only soldered a couple of things in my life, so I'll have to do a bit of research regarding a few of those terms in your message, should do the trick though!

Edit after google: Ok so, in other words, buy a 470uf capacitor, solder it between 5V and GND, (i'll have to find out where that is when I get home from work). Cheers!

Last edited by Calavera (Mar 4, 2013 3:57 am)

Melbourne, Australia

If you need any help soldering just hit me up. Should be an easy job but its always nice to have someone with more experience in case. :-)

Melbourne, Australia
celsius wrote:

If you need any help soldering just hit me up. Should be an easy job but its always nice to have someone with more experience in case. :-)

Thanks man, I really appreciate that!

Sweeeeeeden

A DMG question should be in Nintendo handhelds, not Nintendo consoles, mmkay? Moved!

Melbourne, Australia
nitro2k01 wrote:

A DMG question should be in Nintendo handhelds, not Nintendo consoles, mmkay? Moved!

Oh shit, sorry! Must have been tired not to notice that.