England

I'm looking to buy an EPROM programmer for experimenting with SNES/NES roms.

Does anyone have any recommendations for models or where to buy?

I have Win 8 64-bit running, but also have a 32-bit XP laptop; although I'd like to use 64-bit drivers if possible, it's not a deal-breaker.

Thanks!

Willem Programmer - Ebay

England

Thanks!

Milwaukee, WI

I haven't owned one, but I've heard of a lot of pains and issues with Willem. sad

philly

my advice is get whatever u can get for free from work - or someone u know who works in a place that has one - it will likely be old and require a dos computer to work - but its worth it to not blow a ton of money

England

OK! I'll see what I can blag. Thanks Alex!

How does this one look to you?

That will be useful for Arduino stuff as well, right? Just in case I investigate that in the future.

England
Theta_Frost wrote:

I haven't owned one, but I've heard of a lot of pains and issues with Willem. sad

Interesting, cheers. Can anyone back this up?

A Willem is pretty much the programmer to get without spending a shit load, although it can be a pain in the ass tracking down the right software and such. All the suppliers give you either bad chinese english or no manuals what so ever so prepear to loose a few eprom's at the beginning.

Which eproms are you wanting to program?.

I have two, the Willem and the GQ-4X.  I use them both.  For the roms you suggest I find the GQ-4X works great right out of the box.
Link to ebay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/True-USB-GQ-4X- … 3cba132c39

I used that one for all of the carts I produce.

England

Thanks for all the advice folks. I've ordered an inexpensive Willem programmer and will see how I get on.

The GQ-4X is a Willem as well, actually. I own a few programmers, and I've had pretty good results with the GQ-4X.

ad-hell-aide

GQ-4X looks pretty cool for the money... wonder if it works under parallels in OS X.

InactiveX wrote:

Thanks for all the advice folks. I've ordered an inexpensive Willem programmer and will see how I get on.

Wich one did you choose? I hope you noticed you might need a parralell port.