Santa Cruz, California
uXe wrote:

...or you could build your own true 'zero insertion force' connector and slot-loading mechanism like this! big_smile

http://revision3.com/tbhs/slot-loading- … tem-finale

One of my favorite Heckendorn builds! I actually started doing the CAD work to get all of that to fit inside of an NES.

Maine

thanks for the advice i think ill do this big_smile
disabling the lock out chip that is

Last edited by TheBronyChip (Mar 10, 2013 4:12 pm)

Sweden

A friend of mine just put his faulty cartridge connectors in the dishwasher which apparently had a great effect on them. Maybe you could try that. Those pins ought to get dirty after a few thousand cart swaps smile

Maine

any tips on cutting the pin on the lock out chip im having no luck

Maine

never mind i got it with i knife and it for sure has been disabled now i know i need a new 72 pin cause games are still hard to get working

SLC, UT

When I did it it was a combination of desoldering and cutting/scraping. If your soldering skills are good you could just desolder the whole chip and then lift the pin you need. That's what Ben heck did. Optionally you may want to ground it by connecting a wire from the lifted pin to the third pin from the right on the other side. I'm referencing the picture that was posted. Just depends on how paranoid you are.

Interested about the dishwasher idea....will try!

Maine

whats a good way to clean nes carts? i hear mixed results about alcohol hmm

Santa Cruz, California
TheBronyChip wrote:

whats a good way to clean nes carts? i hear mixed results about alcohol hmm

Alcohol is great for maintaining clean games.
To thoroughly clean your old carts, I suggest a q-tip and a small amount of Brasso, and then swab it out with a clean q-tip and some alcohol.
I'll post a video of how to refresh your 72 pin connector so you don't have to buy a new one.

Maine

i already bought one a couple days ago but the video would still be nice for others

Santa Cruz, California

Word up. Get some Brasso to clean those carts. It's about $4 at wal-mart (not that i condone that hell hole, but I guarantee that they have it).
So, you already installed the new 72 pin connector and disabled the lockout chip, and you're still having problems?

Maine

i havent installed it yet as i am still waiting for my payment to clear and for them to ship it

but i know my games are dirty they went through a house fire years ago and have yet to get cleaned from all the suit

Last edited by TheBronyChip (Mar 10, 2013 9:50 pm)

Santa Cruz, California

Well, as long as you didn't buy the cheapest connector, you should be in good shape and you're NES will give you another 10-15 years of service.
Some if the really cheap connectors are slightly warped and don't make a good connection. If you get a warped one, there is a fix for it; Pay close attention to what way the plastics are warped, then take a hair dryer, put it on the medium heat setting, and slowly bend the connector until it's as close to straight as you can get it. Be very patient and careful and keep the connector about 4-5 inches away from the hair dryer. Test it periodically (letting it cool before each test) until it works properly.
If you encounter any other problems, just let me know.

SLC, UT

I'm still interested in your video.... smile

Maine

ok sounds good big_smile

Santa Cruz, California
stargazer wrote:

I'm still interested in your video.... smile

I'll try to have it posted this evening.

Santa Cruz, California

...terrible editing software strikes again.
The video has been completely edited, now I'm just waiting for it to convert the file to something usable... while it uses over 80% of my computer's processing power.