XyNo wrote:

TOTALLY !!! CDs will never die for me !!!

Meanwhile in the 80's...

TOTALLY !!! Vynils will never die for me !!!

big_smile

Just kidding mate tongue anyway, I stopped buying CDs a lot of time ago, if I had physical copies of all the stuff I bought digital, I wouldn't know where to live cause my home would be flooded by CDs big_smile

Last edited by Adhrast (Mar 12, 2013 5:25 pm)

England

i still buy cds, maybe 3-4 in the last month. found some nice cheap new stuff in fopp, i could hardly turn down a new stereolab cd for 50p now could i? or a great compilation of weird 80s industrial/ebm/disco crossover stuff?

Last edited by Jellica (Mar 12, 2013 6:14 pm)

the reasons i would buy cds are usually either:

1) because it is music by a friend of mine or a musician who i really really like and the cd is sort of a keepsake
2) because i come across it for mad cheap at a thrift store or something (like 50c cheap)

Matthew Joseph Payne

Rarely, rarely buy CDs. Typically looking to buy a download, but well thought out packaging can sway me. Vinyl is king. Have big issues with the way CDs are produced, and the plastic that jewel cases are made out of. This is seriously affected the way I produce my own physical media, which has in turn affected sales, I could talk for miles about that.

I used to have a few hundred, then most went bad, so I feel a bit cheated by that media, and specially with the companies which profited from selling me those CD's then investing in lawyers to close down services which might re-unite me with music which I feel I should still have the right to listen to.

So, no more CD purchases for me.

Madison, Wisconsin, USA

I buy CDs because I go to music stores to find new music

Puerto Rico

Only for local bands.

Or from thrift stores/bargain bins.

Brighton

Yep,
And now Rounder Records closed its doors, I just browse Boomkat like it were an actual (deserted sad ) shop.

Washington DC

I get a lot of CD's for free from friends, but I don't think I have actually purchased one since around 2009-ish. Basically the last time I went to blipfest and had money to spend on stuff.

Gosford, Australia

only at shows or as gifts for older relatives who don't understand how to work this internet malarkey

South Jersey, USA
chunter wrote:

I  use CDRs because the stereo in my car doesn't have an aux port, but I haven't bought a CD since 2008 or earlier.

^^^pretty much this

Dublin, Ireland

I don't buy them if I can avoid it.

I'll buy CDs if It's not available in any other format.
Or if I happen across it in some weird little record store somewhere (there's an overlap with the previous point there...).
Or (and this is the main reason) if I'm at a show and it's all that's what the artist has.

The main advantage CDs seem to have for me is their portability for sale at shows, otherwise they're just pointless, inefficient space-hogging nuisances. People really need to figure out a better physical storage media for this...

iNFOTOXIN wrote:

People really need to figure out a better physical storage media for this...

like drives?

I buy vinyl

Dublin, Ireland
defPREMIUM wrote:
iNFOTOXIN wrote:

People really need to figure out a better physical storage media for this...

like drives?

That never really caught on, primarily, I hear due to expense. But perhaps there's a future in it?

Last edited by iNFOTOXIN (Mar 14, 2013 6:01 pm)