Santa Cruz, California

I filmed this for another thread.
There's some issues with the quality of the video, and I can place the blame solely on my camera and the editing software.
Anyway, it's a pretty good overview, and if you know how to work a soldering iron, this is well within your capabilities.

I'm working on another cut of this video with some better software.
Stay Tuned...

SLC, UT

Just tried this on the NASTIEST nes you'll ever see and it worked perfectly. Didn't even disable the lockout chip yet. Thank you!

Santa Cruz, California

Years of experience, dude. wink

San Diego

Your commentary makes up for the video quality! Instant classic.

Santa Cruz, California
Vile wrote:

Your commentary makes up for the video quality! Instant classic.

I never realized that I said such crazy shit while I work...

Gosford, Australia
Vile wrote:

Your commentary makes up for the video quality!

definitely this. actually the AV quality and lighting feels very 90s so it's kinda awesome like that. great video!

Maine

do you have to ground it?

Santa Cruz, California

I always ground it.
I've noticed that sometimes I'll get an NES that won't work if I just leave the 4th leg stump hanging.

Medina, Ohio

Well, I cut my pin on my lockout chip, and didn't ground it, and instead of a blinking light, the light is always on. I'll ground it later, and share my results.

Santa Cruz, California
dsv101 wrote:

...instead of a blinking light, the light is always on.

Clean your cartridges.
Use a Q-tip and some Brasso until the contacts are super shiny, then swab it out with some alcohol.

Medina, Ohio

They work fine on my other NES, I done did screw up the CIC, I remember. I tore where the pin meets the CIC, It needs replaced. At least I have one fully functional NES. BTW, the light is always on regardless if there is a cart in

Santa Cruz, California

I know. Disabling the lockout chip gets rid of the blinking light... it also makes it region free and lets you play bootlegged games.

Medina, Ohio

That's why I originally did it, I was going to make some homebrew! But, I ran out of motivation after breaking the CIC. I should just get a game for a buck, and replace the one on my nes.

Ottawa, ON
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

I always ground it.
I've noticed that sometimes I'll get an NES that won't work if I just leave the 4th leg stump hanging.

That's funny, some guy over on nesdev found that if pin 4 is grounded on some revisions of the 10NES lockout chip it would cause the system to be in a constant reset state (ie not power on) and that it would *sometimes* work if the pin was left floating.

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php? … it=lockout

Santa Cruz, California

I've never encountered that problem... he must be doing it wrong.
There's absolutely no reason for it to get stuck in a reset loop.

Anyway!
Get ready for some Famicom mod tutorials.
Coming soon to a youtube near you!

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Mar 12, 2013 8:33 pm)

What does your knuckle tattoo say?