Orange County,CA /Las Vegas NV

I don't have any speakers or anything. Just my gameboys. Any hoot, the venue has a pa for use and a mic available (numerous) So will it be okay if I plug into the PA? I can, but I just need advice. Also if I plug in what do I tell the sound guy? like do I request certain mixing effects etc? Idk, help me out please lol

Medina, Ohio

Just let him know that your input is not that loud, so he will have to put the gain up. But really, if he is running the board, you should just be able to plug and go, that's assuming there sound guy is worth anything. Don't let him use too much reverb or echo, if he trys.

Thank you man! So basically if he's a good sound guy, he'll know that obviously my line needs more gain? Yeah I'm a bit nervous and the last thing I want is to be fucked over by the sound guy! haha smile

You'll need 3.5 mm to RCA cables. One per game boy, unless the venue has them, but I advice bringing your own.

Game boys are silent, so in a regular mixer, put them in phono inpunts, because they get a pre-amp.

I's ask the sound guy (if any) for a dance/drum and bass setting. But that depends on YOUR sound. But most places have one setting only so that isn't a bother.

Bring fresh batteries.

Don't spill drinks / keep them away.

A little extra:

Some mixers come with build in effects. If you've got some time before your show, it might be worth the trouble to find a friend who has got a mixtable and try if phasing works on the DMG's music.Things like muting for one split-second (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhwW7vhdTEE at 2:45 Also: bit shifter's face) are fun basic stuff that add to your show. But they require 1) being in tune with your own songs, knowing where and what happens 110% and 2) Being in tune with the effects you can pull of (phasing, panning on the fly, reverb, echo etc) so you can apply effects while playing. But I wouldn't do those things on a first show. And not overdo it like some soundguys.

Thank you so much Jotie! Your advice has made me less nervous. Yeah I'm gonna lay off the effects and goodies for the first show. im just gonna play my solid songs (just jam out like normal) do my vocals and such. I want an intro though cause I dont have one. Im thinking of using deathray. anyways do you suggest I use 2 or 3 gameboys? Cause it'd probaly make a smoother transition right?

Jotie wrote:

You'll need 3.5 mm to RCA cables. One per game boy, unless the venue has them, but I advice bringing your own.

Game boys are silent, so in a regular mixer, put them in phono inpunts, because they get a pre-amp.

I's ask the sound guy (if any) for a dance/drum and bass setting. But that depends on YOUR sound. But most places have one setting only so that isn't a bother.

Bring fresh batteries.

Don't spill drinks / keep them away.

A little extra:

Some mixers come with build in effects. If you've got some time before your show, it might be worth the trouble to find a friend who has got a mixtable and try if phasing works on the DMG's music.Things like muting for one split-second (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhwW7vhdTEE at 2:45 Also: bit shifter's face) are fun basic stuff that add to your show. But they require 1) being in tune with your own songs, knowing where and what happens 110% and 2) Being in tune with the effects you can pull of (phasing, panning on the fly, reverb, echo etc) so you can apply effects while playing. But I wouldn't do those things on a first show. And not overdo it like some soundguys.

thank you!

2 gameboys + link cable to make smoother transitions / beatmatching is a chill idea, beatmatching can be a bitch whilst nervous.

I'd advice against 3. I do that because I kind of have to (2 DMG'S regular and 1 color for crazy 240 bpm tracks) and that's annoyingly confusing.

An intro is nice. With a laptop you can use straight soundtracks or movie trailers or whatever. Lot's of chip artists announce themselves and if the venue doesn't know chiptune explain what they do with those game boys a little. What's deathray though?

nice advice again! smile and dude deathray is a pretty chill little noise rom for gb. Doesnt do too much, limited. But with eq and stuff its pretty brutal smile and nice setup. my setup will be a  x2 Gameboy Pocket,a Gameboy Color, and a Nintendo DS. So I wanna get my hands on something called the micro mixer made by Sound somethin.. lol Idk I need a mixer though, a mini one thats cheap, like a 4 knob or something

Riverside, CA

Make sure you mic the Game Boy's speaker with at least 3 condensers and a kick drum mic above the D-pad.

Just make sure EVERYTHING is packed and working before going.