Maybe it had something to do with the ion color brilliance? It says teal on the package. Did you just stick it directly in the dye, or did you make a solution?

Dallas

Certain colors seem to absorb faster then others and this could make predicting the final color very tricky. I think the best way to know what colors you can expect from dyes is by experimenting. If everyone that does this could post back with a picture of the dye they used and the color they got, this could help a great number of people wanting to do the same.

KC

yes I just put it directly in the dye.

and I know it said teal but the hair sample in the store looked pretty close to the buttons that I am trying to match.

Austin, TX

Sorry for the bump, but was anyone able to dye their start select buttons red?  What did you use?

washington

i used red hair dye once, and they came out pink. probably because the dye was old.

matt's mind

i tried two types, one came out brown the other pink.  permanent and semi-perm i think is what they were, in that order.  i have it written down, i'll check when i can.

red is gonna be a tough one i bet

Dallas

There's that punk rocker hair dye (splat i think) that gets hair bright red. I thought that might be a good start for red (and green and blue) color dying. Its not trying to blend in with normal hair, I think its just straight red pigment. Worth a shot.

Also use it with Kitch's clear silicone start select buttons for the brightest possible color.

London, UK

I tried dying some silicon SS buttons and button pads (to go in a clearboy) but it didn't work very well.. I was in a rush and picked up some dye at Sainsburys on my lunch break, but I didn't see that it's only semi-permanent... Oops! I think it's probably why the buttons didn't go black.

This is the dye I picked up:

And a bunch of buttons and pads:

These are the results. The SS buttons were the original grey ones. They went darker grey and the tips went quite black but still not completely black. The pads went sort of khaki colours:

Will be getting some permanent dye at some point and will try again.