California, USA

I've recently begun writing music for the gameboy with LSDJ. I've been thinking about how I would eventually work out live performances and I've wondered how I would be able to make smooth transitions between different songs in a live situation. I'd like to be able to not just have silence inbetween songs, at least not between every transition. I've heard live sets with really well, smooth transitions. Zen Albatross does a really good job with them. What are some of your guys' techniques?

Last edited by Dark Oyster (Mar 18, 2013 5:23 am)

I like to do kick or snare roll fade outs into a kick or snare roll intro.

Or a heavy bass drop outro.

orange county, CA

i usually use some sort of effects and slowly have it fade into the other track.

or at a drop, switch the track, but not to where it sounds bad or very noticeable.

best for this kinda stuff is a dj mixer with 2 GBs. (my setup for example) (Numark M2 x Two unsynced DMGs running LSDJ)

Montreal, Canada

If you have only 1 gameboy (which I assume is what you have? since you're worried about silences between songs?) then you could compose little "in between" songs.. like ambiant pad sounds or something that doesn't require you to surgically beatmatch them, and burn them to a CD. Then mix those in at the end of a track while you're fiddling with the gameboy to load the next tune.

Then of course there's always the solution to buy a second gameboy and preload the next tune while the other is playing.

In all cases though, you'll need a mixer to achieve that. Most places you'll play at will already have one set up for you, but it never hurts to buy one for yourself so you can do the same thing at home. You can get something decent for about 100$.

hiding under your bed

Scream.
Just as the last beat of your first song ends, grab the microphone, shove it as far as you can into your mouth, and unleash the loudest, most blood-curdling scream you can muster, and hold it. Keep it going for as long as it takes you to load a new song on your single LSDJ cart in your single A/C adapter-powered Gameboy Pocket with a single working output channel (the left one, specifically) and stop the scream right as you start the second song.
Rinse/repeat/reduce/reuse/recycle/shake well/buy often.

...noseriouslythough just use two gameboys and fade out/in each time you start a new song.
If you don't have a second gameboy, but do have a newer Nintendo handheld, I suggest using one for small backing loops (or to write whole new songs) inbetween LSDJ loading times. There are plenty of cheap options. KORG DS-10 (or DS-10+) or Jam Sessions for DS, Electroplankton (the original DS card or the downloadable ones for DSi/3DS), or anything out of the Rytmik series of trackers for 3DS. If you're either rich or into piracy, I strongly suggest checking out KORG-M01 for the DS. It's freakin' amazing.

Last edited by PianoGameboy (Mar 18, 2013 6:28 am)

BK

The one tip most people aren't aware of re: transitions is the tap tempo functionality in LSDJ. This makes transitions between two game boys super easy. On the game boy you're transitioning to, on the File screen, move your cursor over the tempo value and tap A in time with the other song that's currently running. This should match your tempos up exactly. Then just hit start on the downbeat and you'll be synced up. It helps to have some sort of intro chains to transition between the two songs though. A simple drumbeat or something like that usually does the trick.

San Diego, CA

I recently had a long conversation with Wizwars about this kind of thing on Facebook, and I'm going to stand by what I said on there and say -- if you're making four to the floor dance music, you should probably learn how to beatmatch live. It'll make your sets super great!

But if you're not making music that stays in a relatively stable bpm range, then I would suggest buying some hardware. The thing with transitions in LSDJ is that having raw Gameboy sounds that aren't in the same key or bpm play together is a little tough to do because each kind of sound you can make on a gameboy is super distinct -- just doing a fade in/fade out won't really work unless you want to sound pretty amateur (take it from someone who's tried that: me). Honestly, it really depends on the kind of music you're making and what you think will sound good in a live setting; some people can get away with silence between songs, some people should really not have silence between songs.

As far as the actual hardware, you should probably just have a mixer regardless of whether you're going to do transitions or not. Lots of bars and venues have a mixer, but it's located so far away from the stage because it's the main house mixer, and plugging direct into the main house mixer is not something you want to do pretty much EVER. The difference between mixers like those Behringers everyone seems to love and other "DJ" branded mixers is that the DJ mixers sacrifice lots of channels for pre-fader listening ability, which basically means that you can plug headphones in and press a button on a specific channel and hear that channel through your headphones while it remains silent on the master output. Don't take that for granted! Being able to preview a track before it goes out into the performance is a really great thing, and underutilized; it basically gives you the ability to "practice" the transition before it actually happens, and you're taking the time that you would've spent messing around with EQ for no reason (jk) and putting it into the transition, which is a good thing. Needless to say, this works WAY better if you have two Gameboys, or if you're doing 2xLSDJ tracks, then four Gameboys, in which case you'd need a four-channel DJ mixer.

If you don't have the ability to keep sound going using the Gameboys while you transition into another song, investing in an effects device will help immeasurably. I recommend the KP3, but that's a little expensive for most people starting out, so you can at least try the Mini-KP. If you only have a single Gameboy and a Mini-KP, that may be enough to do transitions, because what you can do is have some crazy reverb/delay/phaser effect that will remain even though no signal is being pushed through the device! You create the transition by having the effect going while ending the song and waiting in the Load/Save screen with your cursor on the song you want next. IMMEDIATELY after the song ends, hit A to load the song while your effects unit's wet/dry setting is still pretty squarely in the wet territory, and by the time your Mini-KP/KP3's effect ends, the next song will be loaded up and ready to go! Just make sure you turn off the effect (or at least put the wet/dry level back to where you want it to be) before you start the next song.

A lot of this advice is in regards to the performance itself, but you'll save yourself a ton of headaches if you prepare chains beforehand, like Kris k said above me! If you're in song mode, just having a couple of chains separated from the main body of the song that can loop endlessly will work.

But since you're just starting out, you don't need to think of the technical details TOO much right now. What's really important for people performing live is that they actually think about their performance as being more than simply a list of songs; great performances always have an ebb and flow to them, so song sequencing matters a LOT -- probably even more than actually having sound between songs. I've heard Wizwars tell me that my sets sounded like DJ mixes even before I started beatmatching live, just because I end and begin my songs pretty similarly, which creates a transition even if I don't want it to. As long as you're thinking about your set as a cohesive experience and you want to improve, it'll work itself out (but having a little money to buy things doesn't hurt). Just do your homework before you reach out to venues and tell them that you're performance ready!

EDIT: Not posting in cm.o for a couple of months after that monstrosity omg

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Mar 18, 2013 2:25 pm)

Liverpool, UK

All these ideas are not "telling jokes", therefore they're wrong.

Douglas, Wyoming
PianoGameboy wrote:

Scream.
Just as the last beat of your first song ends, grab the microphone, shove it as far as you can into your mouth, and unleash the loudest, most blood-curdling scream you can muster, and hold it. Keep it going for as long as it takes you to load a new song on your single LSDJ cart in your single A/C adapter-powered Gameboy Pocket with a single working output channel (the left one, specifically) and stop the scream right as you start the second song.

Started this thread with my sides intact, but they have currently left orbit and are now traveling deep into space as we speak

Brunswick, GA USA

Bow your head slightly to signal that you've stopped playing. The awkward silence should then be replaced with applause.

Unsubscribe

I rip off big dumb rock band endings for my songs whenever i can. ROOT CHORD RESOLVE AND CHEESY DRUM FILLS TRIGGERS APPLAUSE.

On my live cart I also have my songs saved in order and at the start of each project, so I can maintain eye contact with the apes that make up an average audience while blindly loading the next track. You give them one second of self introspection and they will start flinging feces and biting each others faces off.

Last edited by herr_prof (Mar 18, 2013 3:12 pm)

Seattle, WA US
calmdownkidder wrote:

All these ideas are not "telling jokes", therefore they're wrong.

Louisville Ky
PianoGameboy wrote:

Scream.

nevar has let me down, just 6 cases of throat cancer later....

Louisville Ky

I usually have the fade out then in to the next track, then i remember that  their is no crowd and im alone naked in my room.

the Netherlands

What I do is :

I always sync my tracks live by setting the same BPM  (of half time BPM) or sync them by hearing whenever the groove is different.

I use to prepare my songs for live purposes so I know it's structure and built-up. So, within a song, you can play around by making loops, expand, increaset the length. For that, you have to know the code of your songs quite well.

I always think two steps (or 2 tracks) ahead when I do a liveset, so I know how to alter the track or change up the tempo smoothly. Sometimes I even think about what key the next tracks will be so you have a smooth transition. You can also change that by using the transpose option.

Mixing tracks is just like a DJ does with my headphones connected to a simple mixer, but then with two DMG's instead of turntables or CDJ's etc. I rarely use the link cable because it works perfectly without. Sometimes two gameboys run along side eachother for some time. Songs seem to stay perfectly beat matched if you optimise your tables in LSDJ.

Kris k wrote:

The one tip most people aren't aware of re: transitions is the tap tempo functionality in LSDJ. This makes transitions between two game boys super easy. On the game boy you're transitioning to, on the File screen, move your cursor over the tempo value and tap A in time with the other song that's currently running. This should match your tempos up exactly. Then just hit start on the downbeat and you'll be synced up. It helps to have some sort of intro chains to transition between the two songs though. A simple drumbeat or something like that usually does the trick.

Didn't know about this function! Thanks Kris!

Unsubscribe

re: jokes i find there is much more tolerance for meh music than meh jokes.