Well, I seem to have botched my first attempt at backlighting a dmg screen. It appears that in the process of removing the old polarization film, I also removed another layer of the glass that I shouldn't have. I don't know, all I know, is that there's a slight rainbow effect on the bottom right corner of the screen. Regardless, all I get when turning on the screen is white dots.

So, I'm wanting to attempt it again, but I already went through the trouble of recapping the board, and would rather not do it again. So is it feasible to swap the screens? I'm guessing it's not... but I am handy with a soldering iron.

Did you remove anything from the backlight panel?

Czech republic

I bet it's way easier to recap another board

Also, you might want to google dmg screen replacement before someone like saskrotch attacks you.

Well, I just took a picture of it, and when I had the flash on, I realized I can still see the screen.

Am I missing a step or something?

Anyway, here are the pics:

Flash off:

Flash on:

Oh wow, I feel stupid. I put the damn thing in backwards

but the bottom right corner is still messed up. I'm guess I didn't get everything peeled off that corner? And it looks like I'll have to take some rubbing alcohol to those dots.

Did you get all the stick residue off of that corner of the LCD?

Santa Cruz, California

That screen is toast. The little reservoirs with the liquid crystals have been ruptured/torn, that discoloration isn't going away.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Mar 25, 2013 11:16 pm)

nerdsome wrote:

Did you get all the stick residue off of that corner of the LCD?

I'm pretty sure I did. I'm taking a razor blade to the screen right now to see if there's anything remaining, and it's smooth.

It looks like I must've gotten a little rough removing the stuff from the back of the screen. When I put pressure on that area, the discoloration spreads like on a normal busted lcd.

Looks like I'll be recapping another board. Oh well.

It happens.  You'll do better next time.

Santa Cruz, California

Yeah man, it just takes a little practice... I've destroyed a couple myself.

Alright, thanks for the advice guys. I'll try it again soon, but next time I'll do the screen first before recapping it , haha.

Santa Cruz, California

Just be sure to take your time peeling off the polarizing film.